Sky again! One for Chesters no doubt

Colin Brett

Anyone [Chesters] explain why channel 242 [shed] is breaking up [pixelating]? 240 is fine, 241 is breaking up as well. Is it because the signal broadcast is weaker? 242 actually freezes and I have to switch channels back and forth to unfreeze it??

My signal strength is full [say 10] although quality is down a bit [8]

???

Should I just cancel it and stick with Freeview? Even get pixelating with that at times.

Anyone [Chesters] explain why channel 242 [shed] is breaking up [pixelating]? 240 is fine, 241 is breaking up as well. Is it because the signal broadcast is weaker? 242 actually freezes and I have to switch channels back and forth to unfreeze it??

My signal strength is full [say 10] although quality is down a bit [8]

???

Should I just cancel it and stick with Freeview? Even get pixelating with that at times.

Hi Colin .

It could be a number of problems , probably one of three or maybe a combination of all three.

1. your lnb / lnc (low noise block / cancel) is getting tired

2. the tuner in the set top box is getting tired

3. your dish isn't aligned properly or it has been moved / knocked (football , window cleaner....)

There are the odd channels that are lower in power that do show up first in problems as above , but without actually seeing the problem i wouldn't like to hazard a guess.

An easy trial you could do is 2 things...

1. Give the box a complete rest overnight , take the mains away from it completely and in the morning switch it on and try the problem channel first , if it's working fine then it sounds like the tuner is getting tired.

2. If you know anyone who has a spare (working ) lnb to try on your dish give it a go , if that clears the channel up then it's the lnb.

Apart from that Colin i can't really help you mate.

See how you go with my first idea and let me know how you go on.

BTW , don't worry too much about the signal STRENGTH , it's the QUALITY that you should be concerned about. I see systems that run perfectly well on 20% strength with the quality being up around 90-95%

Edited by mr motorola

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

yes all the above ,dishes have to be aligned carefully as not all the channels come from one satellite (theres several in the same place that move about occasionaly) so you may bet a perfect picture on one but be weaker on another.

it could also be the transponder on the satellite not working correctly?

any trees waving about in the way ? ,whilst good signals will "penetrate" leaves weaker ones can get worse .

my dish sits 4" off the ground and has pretty plants in front of it but they need the occasional prune when the weaker signals pixelate :D

i have my 1.8 mtr stored will i put it up ,would make a big impression on the view out the window though and not look pretty from outside.

i presume shed is a sky prog? so you have a sky minidish?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

OK, I gave the box an overnight and most of today rest but still the same. The dish, is as Chester suggests, a Sky minidish and this hasn't moved been hit by a ladder or a football [can't do heights and too old for footy] also nice clear view with no trees bushes or such in the way.

Perhaps I'll try a new LNB as they aren't that expensive.

The Sky box isn't that old and has seen very little use.

I have toyed with the idea of a Sky + box so perhaps if I get one of those the guys who set it up might solve the problem at the same time??

Thanks for your help Mr M and Chesters I'll keep you posted.

Colin

OK, I gave the box an overnight and most of today rest but still the same. The dish, is as Chester suggests, a Sky minidish and this hasn't moved been hit by a ladder or a football [can't do heights and too old for footy] also nice clear view with no trees bushes or such in the way.

Perhaps I'll try a new LNB as they aren't that expensive.

The Sky box isn't that old and has seen very little use.

I have toyed with the idea of a Sky + box so perhaps if I get one of those the guys who set it up might solve the problem at the same time??

Thanks for your help Mr M and Chesters I'll keep you posted.

Colin

Well if you're thinking of going for SKY+ then the LNB will need changing no matter what. If you are on normal (standard) SKY then you will only have a single output lnb , sky+ requires two feeds from the dish so a dual lnb along with another wire to the box will have to be fitted. *** standard practice from the sky engineers is only to replace the lnb NOT the whole dish unless it is warped*** , just a word of warning in case your problem is a warped dish.

Without jumping on my soapbox and slating SKY's strangle hold on everything , SKY+ is a fantastic platform , probably the best out there and almost certainly has led the way in the forefront of viewing ease. Basically if you're thinking of getting it , GET IT. And as far as i'm still aware SKY don't charge the £10 a month for the SKY+ facility so long as you are subscribing to a higher package.

Hope you get it sorted one way or the other Colin. :)

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

the cable by its design suffers from damp as well ,check the installer had sealed the whole connection with a rubber dooda (boot) or self amalgamating tape ,ordinary insulating tape isnt that good for sealing covering with silicone is better (trickier to remove though).

i would rather cut my own throat than subscribe to sky :D

it is though worth getting a dual replacement LNB (or quad if your thinking of using two boxes on your dish) for the future ;)

you can use your sky ,upgrade to Sky+ (that needs the two feeds) or just plumb in a freesat box on the spare feeds for another room.

i need to sort mine out but i just cannot find a place that could take a dish bigger than 80cm without attracting attention ,not sure my motor would move it either.

hmmm i remember my first "sky" lnb the front melted and amstrad sent a replacement one (horn cover not whole lnb) ,yes i did have sky once but never subscribed the first year or so was free ,i went to real satellite when murdoch insisted i paid :D

in those days it was far easier to get channels you shouldnt have as murdochs legal team was far smaller ,its amazing what was available (and legally bought) to crack channels ,mostly for filmnet on 1deg west but sky as well :D

still have my pace mss500ip? (long time since i looked at it) in the loft i cannot find the heart to skip it because of the delights it used to deliver to my telly

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Colin, I have a couple of LNB's here mate if you want one? Just send me your address and let LA Poste do the rest!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Colin, I have a couple of LNB's here mate if you want one? Just send me your address and let LA Poste do the rest!

Thanks Chris,

can I get back to you as I'm still undecided on going for the Sky+ option. I need to get all the facts from Sky before taking the plunge.

Thanks again,

Colin

The man who put my terrestrial aerial up not so long ago was working nearby this pm, so I had a word and he reckons it could be either the LNB or the receiver. He's going to let me try a new LNB for a week or two to see if it cures the problem. He's also going to scale the ladder [thank goodness] and fit it for a tenner.

I'll keep you posted.

Colin

hopefully that cures the problem :thumbs:

might be worth fitting at lest a dual LNB as he's going up the ladder and having the extra lead plugged into the LNB with the lead left in the loft ,it gives you the option of sky+ (which uses two leads )or an extra ordinary receiver in another place .saves him going back up if you want to upgrade. ;)

you can then compare the two leads to see if the original has damp problems and then use the other one

Edited by chesters1