US of A, the world's last Superpower

corydoras

I heard this story being mentioned on a podcast I subscribe to, and decided to check it out. Apparently if you live in Wisconsin, and you let your children die because of your religious beliefs you are IMMUNE from prosecution. I thought we lived in the 21st Century, not the 11th.

Sad story, strong stomach needed.

http://ffrf.org/news/2008/faithexemption.php

RIP Madeline, I for one am really sorry that you had assholes for parents and had the misfortune to be born in Wisconsin. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite disturbing.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Freedom of Religion has it's price. I for one, don't want someone telling me what to believe in. The state she was born in doesn't have any relevance either. The laws there obviously need revision.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Aren't Jehova's Witnesses in the UK permitted to refuse blood transfusions etc., for their children ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Freedom of Religion has it's price. I for one, don't want someone telling me what to believe in. The state she was born in doesn't have any relevance either. The laws there obviously need revision..

So a child dies because of some ridiculous religious dogma, and thats ok by you, she dies but hey thats the price we pay for Freedom of Religion

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that the fact that this took place in Wisconsin is irrelevant.

Wisconsin Law Child Protection Act

948.21 Neglecting a child. (1) Any person who is responsible for a child’s welfare who, through his or her actions or failure to take action, intentionally contributes to the neglect of the child is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor or, if death is a consequence, a Class D felony.

(2) Under sub. (1), a person responsible for the child’s welfare contributes to the neglect of the child although the child does not actually become neglected if the natural and probable consequences of the person’s actions or failure to take action would be to cause the child to become neglected. History: 1987 a. 332; 2001 a. 109.

Section 948.04

(6) TREATMENT THROUGH PRAYER. A person is not guilty of an offense under this section solely because he or she provides a child with treatment by spiritual means through prayer alone for healing in accordance with the religious method of healing permitted under s. 48.981 (3) © 4. or 448.03 (6) in lieu of medical or surgical treatment.

(6) PRACTICE OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE. No law of this state regulating the practice of medicine and surgery may be construed to interfere with the practice of Christian Science. A person who elects Christian Science treatment in lieu of medical or surgical treatment for the cure of disease may not be compelled to submit to medical or surgical treatment.

Bill of Rights Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment IV: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Aren't Jehova's Witnesses in the UK permitted to refuse blood transfusions etc., for their children ?
I dont know about in the UK but in Scotland the hospital would be on to the phone to the Fiscal and within hours the child would be Ward of Court. Stuff the parents. The right of the kid to live comes before whatever imaginary friend there parents have.

Cory- I never said it was right or wrong, nor did I say anything other than it was irrelevant that she was born in Wisconsin. My statement to that effect, was that it does not matter where she was born only that it happened in Wisconsin. Had it happened in any other state the outcome may have been very different. Either way, it wasn’t or doesn’t appear to be a ‘ridiculous religious dogma’ to the parents. It is their belief and their right. They haven’t been charged yet as the link says. Now it will be up to the court to decide whether or not they really did anything wrong. Everyone has a right in the USA to believe what they like. The link that you posted seems to be one sided as well- as if the parents are already guilty.

It obviously has you up in arms and while my reply was ill thought out and my apologies for being quick with it you have no right to suggest that it is alright by me. I have actually lived in Wisconsin and while you have done your homework, the people there are actually no different than here in the UK. My aim was not be inflammatory but to bring to your attention that every US citizen has Freedom of Religion. Regardless of what YOUR beliefs are I may CHOOSE to believe what I like!

Next time I will take more care in how I choose to reply.

added- The courts may very well change the laws after this comes to a head. So it may not be the parents right to decide. It would appear that the system failed her.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

It is their belief and their right.
That's where we differ, I don't give a fig for the belief of the parents, the childs right to live take precedence over the parents' belief in imaginery friends.

You seem to be of the opinion that the parents had a right to let their daughter die, my opinion is different.

There is a race of people who live with a sort of god who brings their society great benefits yet extracts a terrible toll.

Almost at random, individuals, and certainly many children of all ages die at the hand of this god-monster.

And many more, tens of thousands more, can be maimed and permanently damaged by this bringer of so many benefits.

And yet it is a price that society is more than willing to pay, even though it wouldn't take much to at least curb the god-monster's power to kill and maim.

A society who hears of the death of one child, the terrible maiming of another, and simply shrugs.

A price worth paying for the benefits that the god-monster delivers, and a price worth paying rather than allowing the god-monster to be curbed in any mmeaningful way.

Would we condone such a thing?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

There is a race of people who live with a sort of god who brings their society great benefits yet extracts a terrible toll.

Almost at random, individuals, and certainly many children of all ages die at the hand of this god-monster.

And many more, tens of thousands more, can be maimed and permanently damaged by this bringer of so many benefits.

And yet it is a price that society is more than willing to pay, even though it wouldn't take much to at least curb the god-monster's power to kill and maim.

A society who hears of the death of one child, the terrible maiming of another, and simply shrugs.

A price worth paying for the benefits that the god-monster delivers, and a price worth paying rather than allowing the god-monster to be curbed in any mmeaningful way.

Would we condone such a thing?

Well said Leon