Ladybird identification reqd

Bluey

This afternoon as per usual I took the dog for a walk in the fields behined the church in Brafield. On the way back I stopped at the churchyard gates and waited for him to finish his sniffing and snuffling around, whilst waiting I looked at the Lime tree near to the gate as it was covered in various insect life, and one of the insects caught my eye as it stood out form the rest of them.

It was to all intents and purposes a ladybird, but it was black in colour with pinkish/purple spots, it was the same size as a normal ladybird and similar in every way bar the colour.

Now was I seeing things or is it a real insect or is it a youngster whos not yet matured?? Can anyone identify it??

Tomorrow after I've been to the docs I'll take a trip back there, only this time I'm going to be carrying my camera this time.

Yeah and whats the betting I wont find any??

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

This afternoon as per usual I took the dog for a walk in the fields behined the church in Brafield. On the way back I stopped at the churchyard gates and waited for him to finish his sniffing and snuffling around, whilst waiting I looked at the Lime tree near to the gate as it was covered in various insect life, and one of the insects caught my eye as it stood out form the rest of them.

It was to all intents and purposes a ladybird, but it was black in colour with pinkish/purple spots, it was the same size as a normal ladybird and similar in every way bar the colour.

Now was I seeing things or is it a real insect or is it a youngster whos not yet matured?? Can anyone identify it??

Tomorrow after I've been to the docs I'll take a trip back there, only this time I'm going to be carrying my camera this time.

Was it like this?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

its a Harlequin Ladybird, Harmonia axyridis spectabilis.

this site may be of interest.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

If you see them again count the spots, it helps a lot. There are more than 40 species of ladybird native to our islands.

It might have been a 10-spot ladybird (Adalia 10-punctata). They come in all sorts of different colours.

Harlequins are a bugger to identify, these are all Harlequins.

Harmonia_colour_variants_plate.jpg

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

10 spot ladygbird

Number of spots: 0-15

Those must be tough to ID as well. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

10 spot ladygbird

Those must be tough to ID as well. :D

All 10 spots have got brown legs Newt. Always check out the legs on your lady bird ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

All 10 spots have got brown legs Newt. Always check out the legs on your lady bird ;)

like these, click to play

http://www.atlantaharlequins.com/

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

like these, click to play

http://www.atlantaharlequins.com/

Them's not ladybirds, them's man birds. Check the legs, legs are very important in ladybird morphology ;). Some of them make Sébastien Chabal look positively feminine. Edited by corydoras

Them's not ladybirds, them's man birds.

Some of 'em look like they would like to be 'lady's birds'.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Some of 'em look like they would like to be 'lady's birds'.
:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Well it was just as I anticipated, done the docs, done the repeat prescription for SWMBO and then out to the church.

Set up on arrival and off to the tree, and yes you guessed it was there for 2hrs and no sign of the pink/black ones, plenty of the orange/black ones which are clearly identified as Harlequins.

Still there's always this afternoon will take the camera then as well.

To add insult to injury I thought as there was no chance of taking piccys of these creatures, I would go round to the village pond area and take some photos of two delighfull and playfull little donkeys,

This is probably the closest to it, except the red spots are pink in the ones I'm hoping to get a pic of.

http://www.insektenwelt.ch/MeineBilder/Maria/C21994b.JPG

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing