PC Crashed - Help !

jedibond

Morning all,

I downloaded SP3 for my home PC last night, all went okay and it asked me to restart. Done the restart but the PC froze at the screen with the blue bar scrolling across the bottom. Manually shut it down, powered it up and asked for a safe mode start and it froze again on a DOS page with a lot file data on it. No matter which way I try and restart it it freezes after about 20 seconds.

Of course this means that I can't even get into the PC to remove SP3 !

Anyone got any ideas ???

Edited by jedibond

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

In safe mode go back to a restore point before the update.

(Restore points should have been created automatically by the system, even if you haven't created one manually - always a good idea to do that before installing updates, new software etc)

To create a Restore Point

Access the System Restore Wizard through Help and Support Center.

Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.

In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point.

System Restore automatically adds to this name the date and time that this Restore Point is created.

To finish creating this restore point, click Create.

To cancel restore point creation and return to the Welcome to System Restore screen, click Back.

To cancel restore point creation and exit the System Restore Wizard, click Cancel.

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support.

Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.

Creating a restore point can be useful any time you anticipate making changes to your computer that are risky or might make your computer unstable.

To view or to return to this restore point, from the Welcome to System Restore screen of the System Restore Wizard select Restore my computer to an earlier time.

Then select the date when the restore point was created from the calendar in the Select a Restore Point screen.

All of the restore points that were created on the selected date are listed by name in the list box to the right of the calendar.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Perhaps you could try to repair from your windows disk.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I would if I had the disk but it seems to have gone walk about :sad2:

In safe mode go back to a restore point before the update.

(Restore points should have been created automatically by the system, even if you haven't created one manually - always a good idea to do that before installing updates, new software etc)

Hi Leon,

I can't even get it into safe mode, if I try it just freezes on a DOS screen with a lot of lines of data on it.

Ian

You may have a big problem here, if you can not boot to safe mode and you are not able to find your system recovering disc then it may be that you would need to phone MS helpline, i'm guessing your XP is legit and pre installed. you will need to prove a few things with MS like your disc Key, but that should be on your PC somewhere on a sticker.

Its a long process but they will send you once satisfied a new XP disc for you to reload, you may have to do a complete re-install. :angry:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

If you haven't backed up your data, then this must be your priority. If you cannot easily repair your OS, you may well be able to get your data back by either booting up from a CD or mounting your hard drive into another working system and then copying the files. Booting from a CD is probably harder approach because you need to find a way to get the data off the drive with the duff OS. I am not sure if you'll have any security issues if you mount the drive in another PC, but if your data is important, you can probably finds a professional who will do it for a fee.

If you have the technical knowledge you can download an NTFS boot CD and add XTree Gold to it, then set your BIOS to boot from CD and recover your files with XTreeGold. After that you can reload XP from an XP disc. If you don't know how to do all of this then you need to ask for help from your computer geek mate (everyone has one). Also some computers have a hidden partition from which you can perform a fresh Windows install, Acer for example where you hit Alt, F10 at boot up gives you a fresh install, your computer may have something similar. Another alternative could be to buy a Vista (or XP) disc and install that, expensive option tho.

Edited by Ian FG

If you have the technical knowledge you can download an NTFS boot CD and add XTree Gold to it, then set your BIOS to boot from CD and recover your files with XTreeGold. After that you can reload XP from an XP disc. If you don't know how to do all of this then you need to ask for help from your computer geek mate (everyone has one). Also some computers have a hidden partition from which you can perform a fresh Windows install, Acer for example where you hit Alt, F10 at boot up gives you a fresh install, your computer may have something similar. Another alternative could be to buy a Vista (or XP) disc and install that, expensive option tho.

When my system corrupted, my computor geek friend removed all my doc's as they were important to me. After that we just installed a new xp operating system from the origional disc and reloaded my doc,s. Your welcome to a copy of me disc. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Thanks for all your advice guys, apologies for not replying but I went fishing at the weekend and I got back a couple of hours ago. (I'm using my work laptop in case you're wondering how I'm doing this ! :P )

When my system corrupted, my computor geek friend removed all my doc's as they were important to me. After that we just installed a new xp operating system from the origional disc and reloaded my doc,s. Your welcome to a copy of me disc. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Barry, I've got a geeky mate but I'll take you up on your offer of the disc if you don't mind. I'll pm you my address.

Thanks very much, that's why I like AN, so many helpful peeps out there !

Ian

and i've mailed you jedibond kind regards.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..