UK Bass Stocks Are Collapsing

Elton

think 36cm :thumbs:

No worries about the size John thats not the issue I always return undersize/borderline fish -always have done. Do not see the point in putting good fish back to line the pockets of the next man or indeed feed the seals. Ill save a couple of fillets for the dog Glenn. :thumbs:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Barry

I suspect the bass recruitment for the last 3 or 4 years has been very low, cod recruitment has been high I've always said when conditions are good for one they are not for another and it does not seem to matter how large the breeding stock is.

I've always thought that bass nursery areas had little to do with helping bass stocks.

I doubt the bass stock will collapse, in the same way as the cod stock didn't.

I am also wondering if globle warming has started to decline.

Hi Peter

I think everyones missing the point, the bass have moved north and any surveys done on the south coast will look differant to what they used to be like

steve

Hi Peter

I think everyones missing the point, the bass have moved north and any surveys done on the south coast will look differant to what they used to be like

steve

Exactly Steve 2008_02020019.jpgthere are substantally more bass up here than I can recall in my 30yrs shore fishing.

Edited by clem

Hi Peter

steve

Hi Steve,

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index.php?se...ll:seasofplenty

What about this lot have they moved north, just wondering. :)

There is a german guy recently who recons that global warming is having a rest for ten years, no need to panic then.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Peter

steve

Hello Steve

Have the bass moved north or are you seeing the results of 20 years of good recruitment?

Perhaps a bit of both. When I worked from Whitby 15 years ago we saw a few bass caught while cod fishing and I suspected then that if I spent the time looking around I would find more so I assume bass have always been present on the Yorkshire coast.

If you have poor recruitment for just a couple of years it won't notice much in the grand scheme of things but if like during the 60 early 70's you get 10 years of poor recruitment it will become very noticeable in the future with the stock retracting back to a lower level to what we have now.

I fish to live and live to fish.

If the range of bass in our waters is extending north it does not explain a drop in their numbers in the south. The southern range of bass is well south of any of our waters, I've seen plenty when snorkelling in the Mediterranean. There should be as many bass round Cornwall and Devon now as there were in the 1970s-80s. The reason they aren't there is solely due to increased commercial fishing pressure. It has absolutely nothing to do with global warming or any of the other nonsensical excuses the commercial fishermen will come up with. When they didn't fish for them, there were plenty of big bass, now they fish for them there aren't. Simple as that!

Similarly any cod recovery we may see in the future will be due to lessening of fishing pressure as trawlers get decommissioned and NOT due to any ridiculous ideas that global warming has reversed somehow. I fail to see how the range of bass (and other previously unheard of warmer water species we now see up north like gilthead bream) can be moving north due to global warming at the same time as cod are moving south due to some imaginary "global cooling"!!

If the range of bass in our waters is extending north it does not explain a drop in their numbers in the south. The southern range of bass is well south of any of our waters, I've seen plenty when snorkelling in the Mediterranean. There should be as many bass round Cornwall and Devon now as there were in the 1970s-80s. The reason they aren't there is solely due to increased commercial fishing pressure. It has absolutely nothing to do with global warming or any of the other nonsensical excuses the commercial fishermen will come up with. When they didn't fish for them, there were plenty of big bass, now they fish for them there aren't. Simple as that!

Similarly any cod recovery we may see in the future will be due to lessening of fishing pressure as trawlers get decommissioned and NOT due to any ridiculous ideas that global warming has reversed somehow. I fail to see how the range of bass (and other previously unheard of warmer water species we now see up north like gilthead bream) can be moving north due to global warming at the same time as cod are moving south due to some imaginary "global cooling"!!

Hi ColinW

I have not blamed global warming in fact I have not said anything about global warming, thats your assumption, and therefore your post makes no sense to me.

Perhaps you would explain why you jumped to global warming as your conclusion or are you just bais towards commercial fishermen

steve

I didn't say you had mentioned it Steve, but I'm sure it won't be long before the pair trawler skippers (or more likely the owners and their spokesmen) announce that global warming or some other environmental factor is the cause of the drop in bass numbers in the south west. What I am saying is that if global warming is real, which it does appear to be going by the winters we haven't had in recent years, then there should me more bass all around the UK coasts. It would not be a reason for a drop in numbers in the south because that area is nowhere near the limit of the southern range of the species.

And yes I DO have a bias against commercial fishermen. That is because I am an angler, and commercial fishing as it is carried out now, is NOT in my interest. It is not in the interests of anglers for commercial fishermen to kill bass and cod that are capable of reaching 20lb and 40lb when they are barely a pound in weight. It's even less in my interest for them to kill them at six inches and dump them back into the sea, having wrecked the sea bed to catch them.

Nothing personal :)

I can only report as I see things in my area. Last year I had to wait until mid July before I caught a bass over 36cm, this year so far I have caught so far I have caught eight. Ok so they are small fish of 2.5lb the best going three and a quarter but still better than last year.

Local commercial inshore fishermen are also reporting the best year so far for five years.

As I said I can only speak for how I find things I also understand that some parts of the UK like the west country are suffering with depleted stocks.

Personally with several good year classes coming through I am quietly confident about my bass fishing this season.

BASS are now becoming a joke with many of the UKs sea anglers that I speak to. I even hear worrying rumours about some members wanting a no bait rule to apply in bass nursery areas.

BASS have recently bought out a book, I wonder if it has a captor on how to make friends and influence people.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

Hi Dogs, Does your dog like bass too ?

You are right about B.A.S.S, but they aren't becoming a joke, more like a massive pain in the arse. I get the feeling that they will try anyway possible to get the things they want and to hell with anyone else - Your Bait versus Lures scenario illustrates that well. What about the people who want to bait fish for bass - I understand they exist too.

I get the feeling this current claim about failing bass stocks is just another part of their agenda and to hell with everyone else - but hasnt taht always been the case ? The bass managment plan certainly was not helping anglers of any other species.

P.s My dog has never tasted a bass byt judging by the stick Ive taken elsewhere, by god the thought of the dog eating bass really upsets some people. Like most, If I ever catch them they go back but thats a personal choice and should always remain a personal choice.