Quake

Ken L

The news is a source of morbid facination at the moment. Almost all of my travelling is around the rim of the Indian Ocean and I'm seeing places that I've visited in half a dozen countries turned into disaster areas almost every time I tune in.

My immediate thoughts are with families that I know well in Sri Lanka and I can only hope that being on the west facing side of the island will see them safe despite them living only a few tens on metres from the beach.

If anyone who posts on here has friends or family in the region, I'd just want to wish them well and a safe return.

Those of you living accross the pond must now be looking at the dire warnings about La Palma with rather more concern. Let's just hope that the geologists are wrong about that one.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

What an incredible disaster.

It's not without precedent, however - Krakatoa tsunamis killed 30 thousand souls in 1883. Simon Winchester pointed out in Krakatoa that waves from the explosion were detected in the English channel, although small. It's amazing how powerful geological forces can be.

I too hope for a safe return of any family/friends of AN members.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Ken L - it is interesting that La Palma has more public exposure in the UK where the potential threat is much less than in the US.

Still:

- Will it happen? Almost certainly.

- Will it happen people-soon (as opposed to geological soon)? Well, maybe. Pretty good odds for something in the next hundred or thousand years.

- Will it be REALLY bad? Well, maybe. Worst case and it would be major but no real agreement among folks who study this sort of thing about 'worst case' and an event that mainly bothers the Canaries and the nearby African coast.

- Can we do anything about it? Not really.

Good BBC Piece here.

And from Here, some very respected folks saying

quote:

What is the reality behind stories of mega-tsunamis wiping out the American east coast and southern England? Very little, according to Dr Russell Wynn and Dr Doug Masson from Southampton Oceanography Centre, who have been studying Canary Islands landslides for many years. Their research has shown that stories of a devastating 'mega-tsunami' some 300 feet high and travelling at 500 mph are greatly exaggerated, and that reports suggesting tens of millions of people could be killed have little basis in reality.

Normally if the science boffins can't agree, the politicians don't get too excited or too involved.

[ 27. December 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt.

If the events of the last two days prove one thing, it's that you don't need a 50m high wall of water to cause death, destruction of property and infrastructure chaos.

These things are nothing like normal waves because they don't crash and receed, they just keep comming.

Like the Indian Ocean, the Atlantic doesn't have organised tsunami warning systems so so if La Palma were to go unexpectedly at say 2 in the morning, you could end up with a wave arriving almost without warning and even a modest one of 6 or 7m would ruin the day for a lot of folks.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It said on the news that an event like this only happens was it every 700 years or once in 700 lifetimes? Which ever, that is bloody unlucky.

I know a dis-abled guy in Thialand who lives on the coast and I really fear for him. I'll know soon enough wether he made it or not.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

also as far as us on here concerned one of the groups most affected were fisherman .we are all brothers and i will sending a few quid to help .im sure others will too .big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Newt:

according to Dr Russell Wynn and Dr Doug Masson from Southampton Oceanography Centre, who have been studying Canary Islands landslides for many years. Their research has shown that stories of a devastating 'mega-tsunami' some 300 feet high and travelling at 500 mph are greatly exaggerated, and that reports suggesting tens of millions of people could be killed have little basis in reality.

As someone who once worked at Southampton.O.C, I would go along with that. Worst-case scenario, several thousand dead - NOT "millions".

There was a fair bit of media hype behind the story.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The Harrow School cricket team are in Sri Lanka.

There were 24 hours of worry for the parents but they got a phone call yesterday morning to say all is well with them.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net