Hemp for Bream

Bally

Hi Bally

As i understand it hemps a good bait for most fish however they can get preoccupied with it and ignore hookaits (assuming you mean to use it as groundbait).

This year i have found a mixture of layers, bloodworm and betaine pellets soaked with liquid molasses in a pva bag with fake corn (sinking and floating) on the hair to be a devastating way of getting bream (it is for me anyway the poor ol' carp are not getting a look in :D )

From what i have been told though liquid molasses are the key, bream love the stuff and as its natural no need to worry about amounts used, its cheap too about 6 quid for a gallon from an animal food stockist and will last for ages.

Tony Miles and some of the other lads fishing Queenford for the big bream stopped using hemp. They found that bream put in sacks would cough up various groundbait items, but never hemp. They reckoned that the probable reason was that the bream weren't eating the hemp.

As Andi said bream seem to like sweet flavours, and mollasses are certainly sweet.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks chaps.

I forgot about using mollasses, I'll have to get myself a jar or two. There are a couple of animal feed shops close by so they will be getting a visit from me in the week.

Those lucky bream...... They've got a nice feast coming thier way soon! I will be baiting up with brown crumb, betaine pellets, a couple of tins of corn and maybe some casters and worms. Oh, and the mollasses! Nothing fancy, but hopefully, this little lot will put a few on the bank.

darrreng:

Its a liquid, I THINK its used predominantly as a horse feed suplement and is available from Countrywide stores or similar.  Its dark in colour and sweet.

And it sticks to anything it touches, hands, clothes etc :) so maybe worth taking some baby wipes with you when fishing with it as theres nothing worse than trying to roll a smoke or eat and drink something with hands covered in the stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

quote:

Molasses or treacle is a thick, syrupy derivative of the juice of the sugar cane plant or the processing of sugar beet. The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane or beet, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction. There are three major types of molasses: unsulphured, sulphured and blackstrap. There are also three major grades of molasses: first molasses, second molasses, and blackstrap molasses.
The animal feed is going to be sulphured or blackstrap and the grade, at least in the US where we use it as a food item, will probably be blackstrap.

Blackstrap is the least sweet of the types you can get but still is my preference for use with bait. Fish seem to think highly of it.

I recently posted a recipe on here for making a very firm paste using flour, brown sugar, and molasses. No one seemed too impressed but my guess is that bream may have a different view. :D

[ 31. August 2005, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President