USB ports help please

Ian Burrett

Could someone please help before i tear all my hair out. LOL

I stuck an mp3 player into a USB port and it seemed to recognise it and called it my J drive. I then put my external hard drive (which is usually my j drive )into another USB port, and up popped a window stating the hard drive couldn't be recognised.

Unfortunately my pc won't now recognise any mass storage device now including memory sticks which work fine on my other PC.

I have tried to follow microsoft help guides, updated drivers etc etc and everything looks OK in the device manager.

USBmesssge.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian

read the blue section at the bottom of this page.

http://www.pctoday.com/Editorial/article.a...mp;bJumpTo=True

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Could someone please help before i tear all my hair out. LOL

I stuck an mp3 player into a USB port and it seemed to recognise it and called it my J drive. I then put my external hard drive (which is usually my j drive )into another USB port, and up popped a window stating the hard drive couldn't be recognised.

Unfortunately my pc won't now recognise any mass storage device now including memory sticks which work fine on my other PC.

I have tried to follow microsoft help guides, updated drivers etc etc and everything looks OK in the device manager.

USBmesssge.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It Looks Like You Are Using A USB Hub. If So That Could Be The Problem. Also What Size Is the Hard drive. Some Operatong Systems Will Only Read Some Devices Of A Certain Capcity.

windows is crap and forgets stuff ,if you plug your drive back in the same slot it will again work and windows will be happy ,if not install the drivers again so thicko windows associates that slot with the drive ,the pci slots of the past upset windows if you moved boards in them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

windows is crap and forgets stuff ,if you plug your drive back in the same slot it will again work and windows will be happy ,if not install the drivers again so thicko windows associates that slot with the drive ,the pci slots of the past upset windows if you moved boards in them
No i've had the same as this happen to me the only way out is to delete all mass storage drivers and reboot. Mine didi the very same after I plugged in an extremely cheap and very nast mp3 player. I had to delete all th usb drives from device manager and reboot before it would read any usb device again. even the usb hd that I always have connected.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Have to be honest this also happened to me and that was the advice I got? delete all and reboot and allow windows to find and install the drivers etc.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

mines fine i have four things permenatly in my front hub ,every few days i pull them out to untangle them (the headphones tangle them) so long as they go back in the same holes their fine .if 2 get swapped windows has a hissy fit until i put them back in the right ones :D

the rear 8 never get moved :o

i also have a card that provides a handfull more this bugger plays up without removing anything and i get the "perform faster" routine occasionally but after a while it settles down .

got a fair few things plugged into my pc ,2 drives ,two printers ,2 PDA cradles ,scanner ,two camera cradles ,joystick infra red dooda ,mouse ,bluetooth dongle ,two card readers ,a graphics dongle ,usb headphones and two other leads that go somewhere?.ahh ones for the sat nav ahh two more thats 3 ,ah two one goes to the once huge 20gig iomega drive i use as a backup backup backup

the most troublesome is the usb to parallel converter for my laser jet this has a mind of its own my pc hasn't a parallel port :( hmmm got a spare lan socket perhaps the uni has an old print server.

i used to plug the phones in but now just use the bluetooth dongle

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Wow, you must be the Sultan of the USB port chesters. I thought I had a few but that setup takes a bit of licking.

• 1 month later...

One for the experts? LOL

I eventually solved the problem, a poster on a computer forum suggested he had tried everything to solve this problem and finally found the solution. Just pull the PC mains plug out the wall for a second or two.

Sceptically I tried it but it worked.

Thanks for your posts

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk