Which kayak to buy?

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

Hi all.

I PM'ed glenn as regards a kayak I'd seen for sale and his thoughts on the matter. Many thanks Glenn for you input, much appreciated. :)

I thought it would be an interesting question to throw open for discussion though to the board in general.

I'm looking for a yak as one of the main places I fish, the fish often congregate just out of reach (as confirmed by the feeding gulls) at this point I'm stood not far off chest deep in water which is usually flowing at a decent rate so no chance of wading further than this. Its so frustrating at times! <_<

I'm also still in the process of trying to get fitter and reckon a yak would help me there too. I reckon once I get a bit experienced on one, it must be a great way of exploring the coast too.

Anyway, I fancied an Ocean prowler13 but also thought the Tarpon 120 or 140 looked interesting boats too. Peoples thoughts on which might suit a novice (I have canoed in the past but not for many years) but also one which will see me through intermediate stage too as I don't want to be changing boat every ten minutes as I 'grow out of them'. Glenn recommended a scupper pro and since he suggested it, i've done some reading and it looks like an overlooked yak.

I'm on a tight budget too so no recommendations of big game models with fancy fish finders and carbon fibre paddles please :rolleyes:

I have been offered a perception caster 12.5 at 200 quid though. Its a bare boat with no pfd or paddle and i've not seen it, although it is described as in very good condition with few launches. I'm thinking that shopping around should see a paddle, pfd and anchor (i'm hoping I could fit a trolley system myself?) would add around 100 quid to the bill giving me a useable starter pack for around 300 sheets.......sound like a good cheap start to kayaking or a waste of money better spent elsewhere?

All thoughts welcome as I'm hoping the info might help others considering kayak fishing to make their decisions too.

Cheers.......and thanks again glenn.

Hi all.

I PM'ed glenn as regards a kayak I'd seen for sale and his thoughts on the matter. Many thanks Glenn for you input, much appreciated. :)

I thought it would be an interesting question to throw open for discussion though to the board in general.

I'm looking for a yak as one of the main places I fish, the fish often congregate just out of reach (as confirmed by the feeding gulls) at this point I'm stood not far off chest deep in water which is usually flowing at a decent rate so no chance of wading further than this. Its so frustrating at times! <_<

I'm also still in the process of trying to get fitter and reckon a yak would help me there too. I reckon once I get a bit experienced on one, it must be a great way of exploring the coast too.

Anyway, I fancied an Ocean prowler13 but also thought the Tarpon 120 or 140 looked interesting boats too. Peoples thoughts on which might suit a novice (I have canoed in the past but not for many years) but also one which will see me through intermediate stage too as I don't want to be changing boat every ten minutes as I 'grow out of them'. Glenn recommended a scupper pro and since he suggested it, i've done some reading and it looks like an overlooked yak.

I'm on a tight budget too so no recommendations of big game models with fancy fish finders and carbon fibre paddles please :rolleyes:

I have been offered a perception caster 12.5 at 200 quid though. Its a bare boat with no pfd or paddle and i've not seen it, although it is described as in very good condition with few launches. I'm thinking that shopping around should see a paddle, pfd and anchor (i'm hoping I could fit a trolley system myself?) would add around 100 quid to the bill giving me a useable starter pack for around 300 sheets.......sound like a good cheap start to kayaking or a waste of money better spent elsewhere?

All thoughts welcome as I'm hoping the info might help others considering kayak fishing to make their decisions too.

Hi Phil.

It depends on your size and weight.You say it is a fastish current you want to fish.The scupper pro is a good bet if you are under 13 stone failing that a p13 would be a safe bet.I dont know much about the Tarpon range as my 5 kayaks I have owned in the past have all been Ocean Kayaks.

But even second hand kayaks hold their price.

I have paddled a perception caster,It paddles well but was very restrictive for fishing.Not much room to rig bits and pieces too.

zzippy2.gif

Guest Brumagem Phil
Hi Phil.

It depends on your size and weight.You say it is a fastish current you want to fish.The scupper pro is a good bet if you are under 13 stone failing that a p13 would be a safe bet.I dont know much about the Tarpon range as my 5 kayaks I have owned in the past have all been Ocean Kayaks.

But even second hand kayaks hold their price.

I have paddled a perception caster,It paddles well but was very restrictive for fishing.Not much room to rig bits and pieces too.

Wow, wasnt expecting such a quick response. :)

I'm 14 stones. The location is north norfolk and a lovely estuary which flows a treat when the tides are good and drains to about 3 inches of water on very low water. At the low end of the tide cycle the current isnt really strong but at the higher end of the cycle, the water rushes in and out at a fair pace. There are no snags (other than the bouys) so a standard 2 or 2.5 kilo anchor should hold a kayak easy in position right at the last bouy where I reckon the fish often sit waiting for the fish to float by.

If it helps, I usually fish with just one rod and flick my lure out at a chosen spot. I wouldnt mind trying my hand at trolling a couple of rods of course, but I do like to keep things nice and simple, and at first would be happy just trolling one rod.

When you say very restrictive, what exactly do you mean?

Hi Phil,

This is always an intersting topic and I arent sure there is ever a perfect kayak for anyone. The Ocean Kayak range do seem very good and most of the people I know use Ocean (About 80%) The rest (the wealthy people) are all on Kaskazis, a lovely kayak but well out of my price range. I have only paddled the scupper pro once but was impressed, mainly by one asset, its fast, probably the fastest on the OK range. I also know that a few of the Kaskazi paddlers are selling up and buying the scupper pro. Oh, another positive is that its the cheapest in the range - or was. I think OK will pick up on the increased demand and likely increase the price at some point. At 14 stone you wont have any problems with it. i KNOW ONE LAD who has a bad back and he said the scupper was uncomfortable, so he sold it.

I recently give consideration to selling my p13 and getting the cheaper scupper pro. The one thing that stopped me was the space. The p13 has a lot more space onboard where you can store fishing gear. If you take a lot of gear with you then the space is an obvious advantage.

Other kayaks worth considering are the Ocean trident range. The trident 13 and 15. The 13 looks real nice. Very similar to p13 but with a center hatch for more space still. Some decent pictures here

There are lots of other Ocean kayaks too, but I think these are the main ones (Im sure someone will correct me if I overlooked thier personal favourite). I think the bigger ones are good stable fishing platforms, but in my opinion once they start to get too big it becomes a bit like tring to paddle the QE2 into a head wind.

Anyway, I hope your able to find one you like. Kayak fishing is a fantastic experience and Im sure you will love it.

Edited by glennk

I paddle a prowler elite 4.5 and its a great yak IMHO (its quick, stable and has plent of storage space) but as its a foot and a half longer than a 13 storage could be problematic depending on what space you have (its about the same length a the scupper pro so if you can fit a pro in you can also fit an elite. I've paddled upto 20 miles in it without any problems so if you want to cover distance as well as fish its a good yak for that (they are great for exploring the coast i've paddled on Skye and the Isle of Mull and off the Welsh coast and seen some beautiful scenery and stunning wildlife that i probably wouldn't have got close to on a boat due to the engine noise).

Be very careful about anchoring in a fast current particularly if you've had no experience on a yak before as it can be dangerous. Best thing to do is get used to paddling one before you start hauling loads of fishing gear out with you and remember to practice re-enteries.

Hi Phil,

I am new to kayak fishing too and have just bought a Tarpon 140 which so far I am very impressed with. However I have just got it today so have not been on the water yet and will be taking things very gently until I am confident.

What I would say though having spent months researching which kayak to buy, is to make sure you see the kayak before you buy mail order or something as they look a lot different in the flesh. I too had originaly decided on a prowler 13 but once I saw one against other models I realised how basic and unrefined they were.

I went to Brooksbank canoes new store in Stockport, great place with loads of kayaks on display and decided to buy the Tarpon 140 as the features, comfort and general refinements are far superior to the OK.

Brooksbank had already beaten the best deals I could find for the prowler (including mailspeed marine) and offered a good deal on the Tarpon. Dont be fooled by the RRP prices that they quote online as they are very happy to do a deal.

My advice so far would be to spend a bit more on the kayak and maybe make a trolley.

My two peneth worth anyway, good luck.

Pete

Hi all.

I have just bought an Ocean Kayaks Prowler Elite 4.5 and am in the process of building up my paddling stamina prior to taking to the sea.

I tried all the OK range at an open day in Mudeford a few weeks ago,and whilst I would agree that the Scupper pro is a fast yak,I believe the Elite is more suited to a larger paddler. I am 15 stone ish.

TBH I couldnt really tell much difference between the ease of paddling the Scupper and the Elite except that the Scupper was wetter and that was the clincher for me. I have also paddled a Tarpon 140 and again found it to be wetter even than the Scupper,so as someone who doesnt like itting in a puddle I ruled that one out too.

The best option is to paddle a few and most dealers will have facilities to try them.

It worked for me.

Good Luck

GS

Guest Brumagem Phil

Thanks fellahs, some great info here. Seems the more I read, the more confuddled I get lol. Resigned myself to getting one (hopefully on the cheap) over the winter period. Will obviously stick a couple of piccies up when I do.

Ta.

Thanks fellahs, some great info here. Seems the more I read, the more confuddled I get lol. Resigned myself to getting one (hopefully on the cheap) over the winter period. Will obviously stick a couple of piccies up when I do.

Ta.

Good luck finding a cheap one, reduced price maybe :o) I have 3, a couple of Bic Bilbaos for the son and I for generally mucking about in and the odd bit of fishing and a Scupper Pro for more serious trips. The Bics are much maligned kayaks, unjustly in my opinion but each to their own. I just think they are great fun and can be used for more than just one thing. I am 6 foot tall and 13 1/2 stone and fit the Scupper Pro seat without getting stuck! It can feel 'tippy' compared to it's wider brethren but, in actual fact ,it is very difficult to tip over. This is due in no small part to having your backside close to, or just below, the waterline. If you are in a dry suit it's not that much of a problem and you can always plug the holes with either a bung or some torn up sponge if it bothers you that much. As soon as you start having any decent fish in your lap then the seat fills up anyway. The Pro is fast and easy to paddle, but the only way to find out if it is for you is to try it. If you do try tipping it right over with you siting in it properly, it isn't that easy :o) Please bear in mind though that I also like bics ..................... :o)

• 1 month later...
Hi all.

I have a double and took out the front seat. It allows me to carry more fishing stuff, including the cooler. Down side is it catches the wind more readily than a single. When we go on the ocean we keep the tides in mind going out with it and returning on the flow. :)