Grand Union Canal, Ladbroke Grove, london

Dan G

Hi all - I wondered whether anyone knew a) if there were any fish in this stretch and B) who controls the fishing? I half fancied flicking a lure around, but only if it has fish!

Hi mate, I used to fish it years ago and it was good. I fished the stretch parallel with Harrow Road in what I think is Harlesden but not sure and Paddington basin.

The fishing on the canal was very good back then apart from the odd shopping trolley but would guess that it must have been cleaned up since then. I used to fish matches along that area but can't remember exactly where now!

I honestly can't remember anyone claiming that they owned it back then but a club that springs to mind is one called Raven, I think they were in that area but more towards Kings Cross. Anyway, just in case here is a name and address even though I can't find a number for him.

Raven Angling Club

E G Mears

16 Broomshouse Road, Fulham, London SW6 3QX

So in a nutshell I would say the fishing round there was good and perhaps better now. I don't know who owns the water if anyone at all.

Hope you do fish it mate, just take care round there as it used to be a bit of a dump if you know what I mean but hey lets hope things have been cleaned up.

Thanks very much for that... know what you mean about dodgyness - its not the best bit of town. I might give it a go later in the year - its ten minutes from my house. I've got a valid EA licence obviously, and if anyone pulls me over i'll offer my apologies and join. It looks like there could be a few perch n pike to have a go at...

Hi all - I wondered whether anyone knew a) if there were any fish in this stretch and B) who controls the fishing? I half fancied flicking a lure around, but only if it has fish!

I looked into this 2 years ago.

There used to be number of Angling Clubs who owned stretches of GU in central London. But no longer. British Waterways control the fishing and can't find any clubs to sell the rights to along these stretches. In theory you're supposed to apply for a season ticket for them but so few fish it it wasn't worth them administering it. The lady I spoke to at BW told me to just go ahead.

Last year they leased the stretch round Ladbrooke Grove for free to the newly formed Ladbrooke Rovers which was set up with the help of Thames 21.

I've been down there once to the stretch between The Zoo And Little Venice and blanked, but a friendly passing copper told me he used to get a few Perch from around the canal boats.

If you do go I'd love to know how it went.

Tony