Pollack And Bass On Sandeel

glennk

Well it was a rather strange night to say the least. After last weeks sucess with the sandeels I went in search of some more. First drop down, a weaver. I went to cut it off and the thing jumped in the air and landed on my hand - Ouch !!!

I paddled in, close enough to shore to be able to get off the water if I had any reaction to it. I carried on jigging and managed 1 sandeel and a bucket full of baby coalies. My hand got quite painful but no sign of any swelling and after about an hour the pain went off.

I decided to paddlee out and try a bit of freelining with my livebaits. I rigged up a 3/o hook on a 5 foot snood of 30lb Daiwa Sensor (If I got a big one I wasnt going to snap it this time). The snood was then attached straight to my braid with a swivel. On the hook went the sandeel and I lowered him in the water and let out about 20 foot of line.

I drifted off with the tide, holding onto the rod with the drag sent. Minutes later all hell broke loose and line was tearing off my reel. I tightened the drag and played out my first ever freelined bass which later weighed in at just short of 3lb.

I salvaged the sandeel (Now almost lifeless) and rehooked him and set him adrift again. I went to put the bass in my fish bag and bang, another fish. This one went ballistic and was clearly a lot bigger. Frighten it would snap me I let it have more drag and the fish happily took line from the reel. I stopped the fish diving too far by stopping the reel with my hand. Again I played it out and when it came to the surface it was a belting pollack which I felt was going to be a double figure fish as it looked a hell of a lot bigger than the one I got in the southern softies match which was 7.5 pounds.

Anyway I had forgot my scales yet again so I borrowed some scales from another lad fishing out there. Much to my surprise the fish only registered 8lb, but sure did look much much bigger. As it got dark there was a lot of fish breaking the surface around me but I couldnt manage anymore, time for home.

The paddle back home in the dark was excellent tonight. There was a lot of phosphoresence in the water which looked like sparks coming off the paddle and in the wake of the kayak. All in all it was another very special night. The weever sting was a bad start but the night was rounded off nicely with a couple of nice fish caught with another new method.

freeline-pollack021.jpg

freeline-pollack022.jpg

freeline-pollack023.jpg

Was a hell of a fight. The only problem we have is getting a supply of sandeel. You have to fish for an hour before hand to even get a couple. There is a mark 3 mile away where you can fill your bucket in no time though, but that mark isnt so productive.

I went again last night, the weather was against us but still had a couple of pollack to about 5 pound and my mate had a 4lb bass.

Edited by glennk