German Brown Trout

severus

A 41-pound, 7.25 ounce monster brown trout was caught on a crankbait on the Manistee River in Michigan this week. The fish was 43.75 inches long, and is likely the new world record brown.

The fish is 1 pound, 3.25 ounces heavier than the reigning world record German brown trout, a 40-pound, 4-ounce fish caught in Arkansas in 1992 by Howard "Rip" Collins who used an ultralight rod and 4-pound test line to catch that fish. Healy will have to apply for certification to be declared the world record holder.

The state record German brown trout until today weighed 36.81 pounds and was caught in Lake Michigan in Benzie County in 2007. The next three places in the state record books were held by Lake Michigan browns caught in Manistee.

STORY HERE

brown.jpg

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

That huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

I know it wasn't fly-caught, but I'll move this to the fly fishing forum, where it will probably get more interest.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I know I've not posted here in quite literally years(just on to other things and places), but that river is one I fish all the time for everything from salmon and steelhead(large migratory rainbows), to carp. Of course, browns fall into the mix all the time. The lower rivermouth area(City of Manistee area and adjacent lake front) is known for kicking out at least one or two 30lb class brown trout EVERY year, so this was in the end not unexpected. I work in the outdoor retail industry and have been able to talk to several people who know the captor as well as the guide, and both know their business when it comes to river fish. That said...hardly anyone here targets the large browns in that river, most preferring to go after the more common(in season) salmon and rainbows. I bet that changes now however...and don't be surprised to see this record fall again from the same river or nearby ones(there are at least another dozen rivers that hold very large lake browns in the fall, within a 100 mile stretch of coast here.) This photo with the angler holding the fish next to him, really demonstrates the astonishing size of this fish....it looks like a very large salmon!

post-336-1253060058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightwing

Nice to see you back, Nightwing, and thanks for the additional info.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

How did they know it was German. If it was from its accent I would have had a lot of other questions for it ;)

Cheers

OT

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"