Lift Method....again

Houghton

Right, I've been messing about in the kitchen sink (yes, I have a bit of time) with two floats which I intend to use for the lift bite method.

One will hold a SSG off the bottom and leave about an inch of float sticking out of the water.

The other will sink about an inch below the surface when holding an SSG off the bottom.

Which float should I use?

I would believe it to be the latter as I would be able to wind down to it and I would be sure it was on the bottom otherwise it would be sunk.

The other would require precise plumming of the depth and winding down to it could drag it in leaving you to falsely believe it to be on the bottom.

Edited by Houghton

the second one ,it'll hold postion ,if your in or near lilly's / weeds etc then keep adding depth 6" at a time until the float cocks right

lift4.jpg

but if your in open water add depth a foot at a time until you get a diagernal line back to the weight and just wind down until the float cocks at a angle half in ,half out .too avoid line bites

lift2.jpg

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

On some waters the fish can be very sensitive to any weight. While the lift method works in some places it won't at others. It may be best to have the majority of the shot 'up' the line, with a dust shot or two on the bottom, once the 'dust' are lifted up pops the float. The recently departed and now much missed FJ Taylor developed the lift method and was the first to say it does not suit all Tench waters. The Tench being the fish this rig was designed to catch, though I have used it for Carp, Chub & Barbel.

Andrew Boyd

That seems a physical impossibility to me!

Why?

Try it yourself in a large jug of water. I just trimmed down the float to alter its boyancy. The float sunk just below the surface (about an inch) but had enough boyancy to hold up the SSG.

Anyway I tried the second float today and it seemed to work, however I feel the one SSG was putting off the many fish. Next time I gonna try Andrews advice.

I did catch just the one Tench (which for me boosted my confidence in a method I have never tried before) but annoyingly I lost 5 or 6. And on other occasions the float indicated something was messing about with the bait but was unwilling to drag the float under. Maybe small fish, maybe shy crucians. (I was using double maggot)

Why?

Try it yourself in a large jug of water. I just trimmed down the float to alter its boyancy. The float sunk just below the surface (about an inch) but had enough boyancy to hold up the SSG.

Are you sure the line wasn't touching the bottom of the jug?

As far as I know an object can only have three states of buoyancy, either positive (it floats), negative (it sinks) or neutral (it stays where you put it). It can't "float" at a particular depth without some sort of trim adjustment mechanism.

Are you sure the line wasn't touching the bottom of the jug?

As far as I know an object can only have three states of buoyancy, either positive (it floats), negative (it sinks) or neutral (it stays where you put it). It can't "float" at a particular depth without some sort of trim adjustment mechanism.

Yes you are correct. Line was touching the bottom.

Yes you are correct. Line was touching the bottom.

:thumbs: It wasn't a complete guess, I remember doing the same experiments myself :) It's amazing how many anglers never give any thought to this sort of stuff and yet if you are a float fisherman it's probably one of the main keys to the whole game!

:thumbs: It wasn't a complete guess, I remember doing the same experiments myself :) It's amazing how many anglers never give any thought to this sort of stuff and yet if you are a float fisherman it's probably one of the main keys to the whole game!

Some people think doing these experiments at home is just sad (the wife thinks I'm mad) but they can pay off giving you more time for actual fishing and give you more confidence in your chosen method.