My Fishing Hotspot

severus

Everyone has a favorite place to fish, a place to relax, catch fish, and create great memories. Here's one of mine. It's a place on Lake Michigan called "the bubbler" which is a warm water multi-discharge system about a km. offshore in 25 feet of water. In Spring and Fall when water temps are cold this area attracts baitfish and brown trout, as the water is about 4° or 5° f. warmer than other areas. At peak times the discharge can rise three feet above the surface. I always mark a lot of fish on my graph when I troll near the system.

Posted Image

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Now that looks like a true Hot spot - in all senses of the word. Love to see it one day.

[ 30. April 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Severus,

Indeed it is, there are at least two River Avons in the UK, this one is often called the Warwickshire Avon (although this picture was taken in Worcestershire!) I live about 20 miles downstream from Stratford-on-Avon.

[ 30. April 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Gobio ]

Gobio, I'm curious. How often would you say you refer to measurements via the English system - i.e., miles, yards, feet, inches - versus metrics? I remember reading about some British guy who sold fish by the pound and was fined for doing so. Seemed a bit harsh, but perhaps that's normal. Or is it?

Personally I'm familiar with metric measurements but since its use is not mandated, English measurements remain in common usage here. Except in the military and Canada, of course.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Severus,

The situation here is complicated, it all started in about 1968 when the British Government decided to decimalise our currency - out went quaint old coinage customs like tuppence, thrupenny bits, tanners, half crowns etc. in came 1p 2p 3p etc. It has to be said that the modern way is simpler we now have 100 pennies to a pound where it used to be 12 pennies to a shilling and 20 shillings to a pound (240 pennies to a pound).

Since then we have had a slow but steady conversion to the metric system but confusingly we still use many of the old Imperial System measurements. We buy our milk in litres and our beer in pints, we travel in miles, we buy our gas in litres but always say our cars do so many miles to the gallon. We measure ourselves in feet and inches but most other things in metres and centimetres, but not fishing tackle – rods are 12’ or 13’ etc. One area we are definitely not allowed to use the imperial system is when we buy food, bizarrely the Government has made it illegal to sell anything (fish, bananas etc.) in imperial weights and measures and traders have been prosecuted for doing so.

The British Government seem determined to make us go metric but why they are going about it in such a half-assed way I don’t know. It is hard to see the day when a guy will say he is going up the pub for a few 0.5682604 litres with the lads.