proposed UK smoking ban

Alan Taylor

Saw on the news that the UK government are proposing a total ban on smoking in places where food is served.

Will this drive the smokers amongst us to drink and eat more at home or will more non smokers eat out :confused:

Another nail in the coffin of the local pub :(

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not eat in an establishment that doesn't have a smoke free area.

I also hate the smell of my clothes when I come home from the pub.

That said, I don't see why a separated system won't work. It's what we get in most places these days.

It gives everyone a choice.

The ban culture over here is getting ridiculous. The Government are now proposing to ban adverts for food that they consider unhealthy before the 9pm watershed.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

A lot of pubs are going smoke free. If you must have "a quick drag" in the hour or so that you are eating, the management usually has a sheltered smoking area outside.

I have also noticed that the "Pub Grub" is much improved in the non-smoking pubs.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Nanny state, Oh Nanny state where will you lead us? Ban this - stop that ..........

"Hey Tone, I've this great idea:- lets swamp the media with non news and attention grabing ideas and the public won't see what complete ***** we are and that Gordon is borrowing billions he can't repay!"

"Great idea Peter!", "how would you like a nice cushy job in Europe?"

I don't smoke, but if those aflicted wish to hasten their way to my burial ground who am I to stop them?

Non smoking for 'foody' places and where children are - fine, but pubs in general - no, after all we are all adults in them and can vote with our feet & wallets if we don't like it.

Blimy the'll be banning farting next!! :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

No they wont ban farting but you will have to light them with a match as they escape from your nether region.

All these farts that are lit will stop all these polluted gasses escaping into the atmosphere and damaging the ozone layer.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Well thats what it said in the sunday sport :D

I smoke and in general hate bans and the banning culture that we see more and more of these days.

I am all for this ban though. Whilst they are at it ban the manufacture of cigarettes and make smuggling them or any dealing of them on the black market an offence punishable by summary execution.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

This is a hard one.

Smokers will moan as they are smokers.

Smokers pay more tax than the NHS is given in its budget.

During a night out you will only see half of your party for a small percentage of the evening as they will be outside smoking (if they are smokers).

I want to know how nightclubs will manage???????

A few weeks ago myself, the wife, our three year old and our 8 month old were out on a saturday.

We decided to go in the local hungry horse for a bit of a treat (hardly get out these day due to finances but the food here is cheap compared to other places and is not bad for the price).

Sat in the non smoking having a drink looking at the menu.

All we could smell was tobacco smoke.

We left and ate elsewhere.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

As someone who lost a parent and several close friends to smoking related disease and knowing those who have 'apparently' suffered smoking related diseases through 'passive smoking', I have seen the state people have got into and have no wish to follow them.

I find cigarette smoke deeply unpleasant and welcome any moves to limit smoking in public places - especially if they are enclosed.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Guest Ferret1959

I think a complete ban in public places should be rule.

And if you want my reasons then meet me sometime and see what can happen to those who smoke.

Just to stir things up a bit one thing that does get 'up my nose' as it were are the non smokers or ex-smokers who are also car drivers. They complain about the fumes from my cigarettes, but have no problem at with the tonnes of toxic gases spewed out by their filthy exhaust pipes.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote