proposed UK smoking ban

Alan Taylor

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The implications of the no smoking ban are wide ranging in deed.

Firstly as a commuter the percentage of people smoking in there cars is very high. I know a lot of people who claim not to smoke, and do not at work, but actually do smoke outside of work.

When ever I go into a pub it is 50 50 smokers and non smokers, higher in rural areas in favour of smokers. It is true that the majority (when we include all the clean living types who don't go to pubs anyway) are non smokers, and in a democracy the majority view should and must prevail, however the majority must live with the economic consequences of their wishes being met.

However, the implications for my wife and i are thus.

Our syndicate rods in Scotland will be given up as we will not be able to stay at the hotel and smoke. As we are paying good money for both fishing and accomodation we will not be dicated to in terms of standing out side etc etc. It is meant to be a enjoyable holiday and relaxing. Not interested in the non smokers debate unless they lobby the government for a higher rate of income tax for no smokers, in recognition of the tax we smokers contribute to the economy. Not interested in the NI debate as I pay the tax on my private health care. We have been using the same hotel for 12 years, and the majority of the locals smoke, thank god someone out bid me when I tried to buy the said hotel in 2003. :D Fate is a funny thing. Thats three full weeks each year of accomodation, and bar meal and beer revenue lost to the locals. Circa 4K GBP. PS my two friends who are also smokers will be giving up their rods also.

Likewise my syndicate rods in wales will be given up for the same reasons. Loss of revenue in terms of accomodation, meals and beer 300 GBP per month.

We will not go to the local pubs and restaurants full stop. To be fair we don't do this more than a few times a year anyway. Loss minimal where we live.

I will not stay over on business trips anymore. Loss to economy is circa 4.5K per month, although its not my money so I will not benefit.

By the way I always drive, doing my bit to enhance the congestion levels, used to use the train but then they stopped smoking. I drive because I can smoke and I am free from those personal cd players jingling away. Given the events of recent years this is sound for another reason namely trains crash alot and have little passenger protection. More daily long distance driving instead of staying over will up my personal CO2 contribution.

Namely 4K per annun of syndicate rods no longer purchased, over 7K per annum lost to the leasure hotel trade in rural economies.

Why the hell are we are we not going for a segregation policy, of course we all know which area will be fullest, just like the airports are, and the trains used to be.

I see a lot more time being spent in my bivvy or under a brolly at a nice beach mark somewhere.

Now I had better start planning what I am going to spend on as an alternative. Oh yes a more expensive brand of cigs .........

Of most concern is, if the economic and livelihood implications of this no smoking policy cannot stop it, then I now doubt the strength of any economic defence angling has against eventual abolition, this I used to feel was our strongest defence.....I now have serious doubts. The smoking ban will set a precedent that the economic value of something must be ignored in an evaluation of right v wrong as preceived by activists/advocates/majority.

Cheers

So, in the name of "freedom" smokers should be allowed to commit manslaughter - or is it murder?

As I've said before, isn't it amazing what drug addicts will do to justify their habit?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

When my family go out for a meal we don't want to have to breathe in other peoples fumes.

For that reason alone I think smoking should be banned in public eating places.

I think pubs etc should have the right to decide whether they wish to allow smoking or not, if you don't like it go elsewhere.

Mark

Mark

It is not about freedom of choice I smoke but i wish i didn't. I don't choose to smoke, I smoke becuase i am addicted. i have tried many times to give up and made it to a few weeks but always return to it. I am for the smoking ban as i hope it leads me to finally quit. (trying again in the new year, wish me luck).

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I won't eat where people can smoke and I hate coming home from an evening out,with my hair and clothes stinking of someone elses cigarette smoke.

I have not booked into some hotels, as all their non smoking rooms have been booked.

So there is another side to every coin.

Its working very well in Ireland.

Cigarette sales are down and the pubs are still full of people.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Steve Burke:

So, in the name of "freedom" smokers should be allowed to commit manslaughter - or is it murder?

As I've said before, isn't it amazing what drug addicts will do to justify their habit?

I couldn't agree more.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Alan Stubbs:

I couldn't agree more.

This quote must win the prize for the most appropriate name for the topic.

:D:D

Only Joking Alan.

Cheers

Scapa

PS We in Scotland will get a complete ban