proposed UK smoking ban

Alan Taylor

Ban may be working in Ireland, but our party of four cancelled our trip there...went back to Scotland instead.

Anyway we all seemed to have missed point....

The point is the ban will have an economic impact,

and an assessment of that impact has not resulted in a mitigation in terms of a compromise solution of say "every establishment has a truely smoke free zone for those that want it.

Therefore do not expect the ecomonic argument to be a defence for angling, and i believe its the only defence it has. I have no delusions around what hooking and playing a fish means, all the rubbish about no pain, no stress and other esoteric arguments to justify the angling habit/addiction, which is far more addictive than nicotine :D , but I choose to live with it. Like smoking really.

Angling also offends large numbers of people, and some branches of angling also offend other branches.

Diesel vehicles driving past school children offends me, particulary HGVs benching poison in vast quanitities.

With all the emotional comparisions I read above I am impressed at how many members of the forum are caffine, alcohol, gambling, recreational drug and smoking free zones. Icons no question.

There are some real gems in this thread. Smokers along side child molestors, drug addicts, etc etc, usual emotional rubbish on a par with "you cannot eat a carp..... because well its a carp init" I trust such contributors are in no way linked with anglings lobbying for its continued existance, as their credibity and powers of analogy and analysis cause me concern and expose our longer term future to unacceptable risk.

So if we now all understand the real matter for debate, what is the forums view on the economic impact of the proposed law change and implications for angling ?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Do smokers keep this country up n running on the tax they pay????

I don't think so.

I see Ireland has been voted the best place to live, maybe it's cos of the smoking ban. :D

Malcolm, I repeat "..... isn't it amazing what drug addicts will do to justify their habit? " Or don't you consider yourself a drug addict?

And, no, we haven't all missed the point, and we do understand the real matter for debate. Passive smoking kills.

The economic impact is a side issue, and one that really warrants a separate thread. Nonetheless, to keep matters tidy I'll make a few comments here.

One of the main impacts on the economy is that it will much improve due to less time off work and increased production of goods and services. The extra wealth created, not to mention the increased tax on this wealth, should more than cover the lost tax revenue on tobacco.

A major knock-on effect will be that we'll on average live several years longer. This in turn will have an impact on pensions, almost certainly meaning that the pension age will have to be increased.

But we'll still have the same or even more years in which to enjoy our pensions, and we'll be fitter and healthier whilst we're doing so.

Always assuming we're not smokers, of course!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve Burke:

But we'll still have the same or even more years in which to enjoy our pensions, and we'll be fitter and healthier whilst we're doing so.

Always assuming we're not smokers, of course!

My Mum never smoked a fag in her life but died at the age of 66 from cancer. My Father smoked like a chimney though.

Smoking in the work place has been banned because the Dutch Goverment says that passive smoking kills.

The cost of a patient in hospital here is €1,500 (£1,000) A DAY and thats without scans and xrays etc etc and the food is terrible :(

I am glad that the ban is working in Ireland for the Irish people, we were planning a trip over there next year but as we are both smokers won't be bothering :(

When I go up to Norrie I don't like to smoke in there house even though an ashtray is put in front of me, Shiona stopped smoking and I know that she went through hell stopping so respect her too much to tempt her.

It saddens me to see the children smoking outside the school during breaks.

Cheers for now

Alan

[ 18. November 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Not actually knowing the facts re the economics, I would still hazard a guess that the cost to the NHS to treat a cancer sufferer as the result of smoking would soon swallow up any tax that person had paid.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Ferret1959

My treatment cost well over £100,000 and still on going.

I asked about the cost when I was in hospital to get an idea how much costs get to.

Just think how much would have been saved if smoking was banned years back.

Ferret1959:

My treatment cost well over £100,000 and still on going.

I asked about the cost when I was in hospital to get an idea how much costs get to.

Just think how much would have been saved if smoking was banned years back.

That is about 68 years puffing for a 20 Bensons a day man like myself.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Perhaps we should ban alcohol as well then. How many people get killed and injured through drink related incidents, what is the cost to the NHS? Not passive drinking but you get the idea.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

no no no can't ban alcohol, what would police do on a Friday and Saturday night, catch criminals? get real!....what would all the nurses and doctors do without all the casualties from the fall out of a Friday and Saturday night in every town and city throughout britain?

they's all be out of jobs!

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

*Anthony*:

Not passive drinking but you get the idea

Passive drinking! Those were the days. I used to practice this when I was 18. In those days just a whiff of beer from a serving wenches tabard would get me p!ssed.

[ 18. November 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote