proposed UK smoking ban

Alan Taylor

poledark:

Not actually knowing the facts re the economics, I would still hazard a guess that the cost to the NHS to treat a cancer sufferer as the result of smoking would soon swallow up any tax that person had paid.

Den

A more cynical view is that the Exchequer is happy to allow smoking as it contributes massively to his income - moreover, lower life expectancy also means that he saves expenditure on pension payments.

But that , of course, daren't be admitted publicly.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a new expensive jacket for a family wedding. It looks like rotting away in the wardrobe because my Mrs. won't let me wear it in the pub because it will stink when I come home.

If we had a non smoking pub in town I'd be in it and so would a lot more I know.

I stopped going in the working mans club because it's full of single 30's to 50's blokes all on roll ups. Not only that, but when they leave the ashtrays are empty with a mountain of dog ends on the floor. I really do despair.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Anthony darling :D - If someone opens a bottle of Newcastle or other alcoholic beverage next to you, it wont harm you (mainly because if you ask him for some he will tell you to have sex and leave!) If someones lights up a fag next to you it WILL harm you!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

ban cars :mad: i'm sure they kill lots of people most of those passive i.e not actually in the cars

and aeroplanes those people at lockerbie and in the house in the concord crash were passive ,and war :mad: lots of passive people dying in iraq at the moment

quote:

If someones lights up a fag next to you it WILL harm you!

especially if he`s covered you in petrol

[ 18. November 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ban forums on websites where people with now't better to do prattle on about banning stuff! :D

Oh Nooooooo, I've gone and prattled again!..............

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

ban Tog, ban everything, ban banning ,ban ban bannnbann ban be ban ban,they interveiwed an irish bar keeper ,profits 25% down already.

the real problem is food ,ban that ..smoke till you drop

[ 18. November 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Picture the scene:

- On a night out I step outside a pub to have a crafty smoke, the guy who left 10 minutes earlier (who incidently is rat-arsed) comes down the road in his car, hits the curb, loses control and wipes me out.

Sort of passive drinking.

[ 18. November 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: *Anthony* ]

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

ah ,its your fault if you didnt smoke you would live ,you only have yourself to blame,ban curbs i say

malevans:

Ban may be working in Ireland, but our party of four cancelled our trip there...went back to Scotland instead.

Anyway we all seemed to have missed point....

The point is the ban will have an economic impact,

and an assessment of that impact has not resulted in a mitigation in terms of a compromise solution of say "every establishment has a truely smoke free zone for those that want it.

Therefore do not expect the ecomonic argument to be a defence for angling, and i believe its the only defence it has. I have no delusions around what hooking and playing a fish means, all the rubbish about no pain, no stress and other esoteric arguments to justify the angling habit/addiction, which is far more addictive than nicotine   :D  , but I choose to live with it.  Like smoking really.

Angling also offends large numbers of people, and some branches of angling also offend other branches.

Diesel vehicles driving past school children offends me, particulary HGVs benching poison in vast quanitities.

With all the emotional comparisions I read above I am impressed at how many members of the forum are caffine, alcohol, gambling, recreational drug and smoking free zones. Icons no question.

There are some real gems in this thread. Smokers along side child molestors, drug addicts, etc etc, usual emotional rubbish on a par with "you cannot eat a carp..... because well its a carp init"  I trust such contributors are in no way linked with anglings lobbying for its continued existance, as their credibity and powers of analogy and analysis cause me concern and expose our longer term future to unacceptable risk.

So if we now all understand the real matter for debate, what is the forums view on the economic impact of the proposed law change and implications for angling  ?

What will you do next year when Scotland becomes a no-smoking zone? You can smoke out-doors as much as you want, how will the proposed law change affect the fishing? :confused:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..