proposed UK smoking ban

Alan Taylor

All this talk of banning everything...... is very depressing

I won't have a job cos everyone will be so healthy!!!!!

Perhaps its sheep that need banning !!!

judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

car fumes MAY cause cancer, Cigarrettes MAY cause cancer, alcohol MAY cause cancer, mobile phones MAY damage your health, certain food stuff ie E no's MAY cause cancer/damage to your health.

In other words if everything that was bad for us or may be bad for us was banned, we'd not live long at all! Passive smoking is done every day by every person in this and most other countries and i am not talking about cigarrette smoking here! We all breath in the air around us and you are not telling me there is nothing in the air regarding pollutants that MAY damage our health.

Regarding the economic effects, i do not know figures, but if the ban stopped a significant amount of people to stop smoking, thats less income from tax, more expenditure on the NHS- due to people living longer needing blood pressure tablets, heart tablets, care home scenario of being looked after in the older age that they had achieved through not smoking, less income from pubs/clubs/hotel/leisure industry from people going where they can smoke, more expenditure on extending the road network as more people will choose to drive somewhere for the day for relaxation, the list could go on forever more, i may be talking out of my backside regarding the income expenditure scenario, but personally, i WILL NOT go to somewhere i can't smoke, i enjoy a fag and i am not ashamed to say that yes i am addicted to it. it will stop me spending approximately £40 a week in the local pub though, it's not a lot but in a small place like this its the regulars that keep a place going throughout the winter.

Guest Ferret1959

Just because you won't be able to have a fag in the pub is a crap reason for not going out and enjoying yourself.

Why spite the pub owners pocket just cos the law has changed?

Would you give up going to the pub just for the sake of a fag?

ok, so i go to the pub, have to go outside for a fag in minus whatever temperature howling gale and not a lot of clothes, come down with pluerosy again, have time off work, nah, not worth the hassle. warm summer night maybe, i wont mind standing outside then, but in this weather, no thank you!

Guest Ferret1959

So if you gave up the fags you wouldn't get pluerosy.

You know it makes sense.

Oh try cancer for an illness, it'll make you think twice about fags.

i had pleurosy for the first time before i smoked. the last time i came down with it, about a month or so back, was due to sleeping in a damp bedroom.

I am physically active with work and pleasure (i am a stevedore and often walk/rock fish/power kite).

if i get cancer then so be it, but just because i smoke does not guarantee i will get it. there are plenty of other carcenogenics around us that will do that too.

Guest Ferret1959

Smoking dosen't help though.

I had a large part of my tongue and throat removed due to cancer.

Left me unable to do a lot of things and the most important thing I miss is being able to eat.

Bit of a sh1tter eh?

yes it's a bit of a ***tter, i agree.

sorry to sound a bit harsh, but has it been 100% proven that it was smoking, and smoking alone that did this to you?... i bet not. we eat stuff, drink stuff, breath stuff every day that can contribute or be the triggering factor to cancer.

again, that is not meant to sound like a go at you, typing is crap for that!

Guest Ferret1959

Stevedore?

Do you enjoy that sort of work?

If you had throat cancer you would have to pack that up straight away.

Having the loss in use of salivary glands due to radiotherapy the salt air makes your mouth very dry and uncomfortable.

But at the end of the day you have the choice.

I'm just putting my experience across.

I think the smoking ban is not aimed at just passive smoking, it also sets out to help addicts kick the problem.

but that is the point, not all addicts want to kick it. personally i enjoy it. this is why we would be better off going back the the old style smoke lounge in pubs ( i don't have a problem with not smoking where food is served) the technology called extractor fans works wonderfully when the right system is installed and maintained correctly, then everyone still has a choice.

yes i do enjoy my work, very much so. it is great in summer, the guys watch the bums and boobs walk past, i watch the other guys walk past, ok in winter we all look like michelin men in survival suits etc ( i work at a ferry terminal)