Best upgrade ?

Sportsman

Si how hot does yours run ?

I have a sli gforce gts250 with a measly amd 4800 dual and with the flaps off my full tower the temp is near 60c and thats doing nothing! :o can you recommend a decent cooler (its using the AMD supplied one) the board is elderly but could use water cooling (ASUS M2N32-SLI) but its expensive to buy and i have no idea which system would fit etc

both PCIE slots run at 16x which is good

i have to have the flaps off as the pc is in my desk so any air blown out the back has nowhere to go except back in

Try the artic cooling range out for bang for buck , i had a artic cooler 64 on a AMD 3700+ running at 3ghz with idle temps in the low 30's , 100% load no more than 50degs. (only 3 low speed quiet case fans but good air flow)

At the mo i run a scythe Ninja revb on a intel quad core(Q6600) in passive mode (ie no fan attached) and my temps only hit 60degs after a few hrs of prime95'ing :) cant overclock it thou as my mobo is total pants and unstable for such stuff :( (asus P5N-E SLI last time i buy a crappy nforce chipset tbh )

www.overclockers.co.uk carry lots of heatsink fan combos just make sure whatever you buy will firstly fit on your motherboard and secondly in your case :)

Do you run your gfx cards fans on auto ? (ie 40% speed until temp hits around 85/90degs then fan kicks in 100% and pc sounds like a hoover) Reason i ask is my gtx275 dont half pump some heat out at stock fan speed 40% , up it to around 65% (noise level is still very low) and my temps stablise on it around 20degs lower than auto speeds.

I can imagine the heat 2 x 250's must pump out and it could be the culprit of your high temps.

Another soloution is a couple off aftermarket gfx card coolers but costs will rise there for decent ones.

Oh aye get a hole cut in the back of the desk too u MUST have a air exit hole for air cooliing or you need go down the water cooling route etc.

wibble?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Si how hot does yours run ?

I have a sli gforce gts250 with a measly amd 4800 dual and with the flaps off my full tower the temp is near 60c and thats doing nothing! :o can you recommend a decent cooler (its using the AMD supplied one) the board is elderly but could use water cooling (ASUS M2N32-SLI) but its expensive to buy and i have no idea which system would fit etc

both PCIE slots run at 16x which is good

i have to have the flaps off as the pc is in my desk so any air blown out the back has nowhere to go except back in

Firstly I would avoid overclockers.co.uk, I ordered some ram for them, paid for next day delivery, and arrived 4 days later, plus it was the wrong ram, sent it back, they said they would send out the correct ram on next day, 3 days later it arrived, still not what I had ordered, sent it back and cancelled my order. Ordered it from Aria.co.uk, came next day, and it was the correct ram.

Do a search for overclockers, you'll see some of the horror stories.

Heres the temps on mine during load, currently using this cooler.

post-903-1255396715_thumb.jpg

I have 5 fans running at 7v instead of the usual 12v (done by swapping wires) to make them quieter, and I also have a 800w psu which is virtually silent, if anything I think my fish tank filter is louder than the pc.

Ive ordered tons of stuff from overclockers all with no hassles , ive allso ordered tons of stuff from aria again with no hassles same with ebuyer,komplett,dabs,scan etc over the past 12yrs :)

Worst of the lot was dabs when i had to rma a hardisk around 7yrs ago , orrible rma process put me off them a bit after that.

Are your temps in the pic idle or load Si ? bit high for idle imo if there 100% load for a few hrs temps then very nice indeed :)

What psu you get as my corsair is near on silent tbh , infact few times ive had to check the fan is running.

What games you play ? you gotta be a crazy gamer with that rig surely? :D

Edited by --=Chris=--

wibble?

That's during gameplay of sniper elite on its highest settings, which still gives around 60-70fps

I usually play FPS games, and play a lot of COD:MW/sniper elite online.

Going to upgrade the gfx card sometime, need to do other things at home first though.

i think i see my problem my psu is only 650 watt and the 12v is down at 9v (according to everest).more power .more power

setting the gpu fans on 100% (not sure what controls them automatically?) and a vulcan bomber seems to take off in my PC :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i think i see my problem my psu is only 650 watt and the 12v is down at 9v (according to everest).more power .more power

setting the gpu fans on 100% (not sure what controls them automatically?) and a vulcan bomber seems to take off in my PC :D

Nvidias 'atuo' fan control aint that great tbh iirc it stays at 40% fan until the gpu hits around 85-90degs then it will ramp up to 100% fan(very naff imo) i run 50% idle and up to 70% when gaming and never hit 80degs thou ill lower this even more very soon when i rip the reference heatsink/fan off and reseat with some nice nice thermal interface paste/filler pads.

Cant see the power supply being a problem tbh as if it was you would be experiencing random crashes/lockups/graphics glitches and everyones old favourite the bsod :)

Id still dump the 250's now while ya will get a few quid back for them and buy a ati 5800 series or a nvidia 280+ in real world usage you will see much more a performance increase than sli 250's plus it will gobble less juice (the 5800s even more so as at idle they consume much less power than the generation of cards before them)

Do you have the nvidia system tools thing installed for fan control/on the fly overclocking etc ?

wibble?

yes all installed, the 250's are the exceler8 versions so pretty fast ,fast enough for me on my limited budget that is :D

now my standard cpu fan has been replaced with a cooler master hyper 212 its back to normal but bugger knows what case this could fit in! mines a full tower and still it pokes out not that i fit the sides anyway ,may fit another fan to the cooler it will save on central heating :D

pain in the bum to fit though its a mobo out job :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson