Best upgrade ?

Sportsman

Thanks for the advice.

All installed and working perfectly (almost :rolleyes: )

For cloning (and quite a few other things) I bought and downloaded a program called "spotmau" Very impressive :)

Could not believe how easy and effective it was. Literally 3 clicks and 20 minutes later I had copied 120Gb onto the new HDD.

The only problem was that all of my Adobe programs (In design, Acrobat and Photoshop) stopped working and had to be re-athorised. Everything else is fine.

The new Lian Li alumimium case is great, it's 3 12cm fans operate so much slower, and quieter than the previous case.

The whole system is now seriously quick running my old XP pro but I am toying with the idea of Windows 7 to see if they have got it right yet. ;)

i'v always use the maxtor cloning software (maxblast) and its free (it just tells you you havent a maxtor drive if thats the case and trundles on anyway) another freeby bit of software which is handy is EASEUS partition master for changing partition sizes containing data .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find memory is the cheapest and most effective upgrade next to cpu etc

just upgraded my memory from 1.5gigs to 2gigs(board limits:(

having a dual core also helps:)

still dont understand why my memory wont run at 800mhz though:( 667mhz tops

still its quick enough with a dual core 4200 and 2gigs or memory and an nvidia8600gt graphics card(cheers chesters:):)

my next bottleneck is this damn hard disc 5200rpm im going for a 250gig 7200rpm sata next

s

Edited by billy50000

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

i find memory is the cheapest and most effective upgrade next to cpu etc

just upgraded my memory from 1.5gigs to 2gigs(board limits:(

having a dual core also helps:)

still dont understand why my memory wont run at 800mhz though:( 667mhz tops

still its quick enough with a dual core 4200 and 2gigs or memory and an nvidia8600gt graphics card(cheers chesters:) :)

my next bottleneck is this damn hard disc 5200rpm im going for a 250gig 7200rpm sata next

s

is it all 800mhz memory? it will run at the slowest you have

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

probably running on the older chip which is now acting up at 667mhz:(

so il monitor it and back it down to 533mhz if it does play up again:)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Make sure the voltage is cranked up to what the manufacturers spec for the ram ie i have some ocz 800mhz stuff that only works at that at 2.1v my mother board auto setting is just under 2v so i had to manually raise it to 2.1v in the bios.

Memtest64+ is worth a try too to check if your ram is dodgy or its somthing else messing your system up and cuasing problems.

wibble?

cheers chris il look into the voltage adjustment now:)

i knew id have to up the volts but tbh thought i might be able to get away with it:)

sandra info is handy to see what volts its set as standard and il try upping it from there,i can see afew cmos clearing happening soon:)

s

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

si thats a beast of a pc!!!

6gigs of memory!!!and a phenom wow!!!

il check out everest later as i maybe popping out to seton sands area to try my luck from the beach:)

s

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Si how hot does yours run ?

I have a sli gforce gts250 with a measly amd 4800 dual and with the flaps off my full tower the temp is near 60c and thats doing nothing! :o can you recommend a decent cooler (its using the AMD supplied one) the board is elderly but could use water cooling (ASUS M2N32-SLI) but its expensive to buy and i have no idea which system would fit etc

both PCIE slots run at 16x which is good

i have to have the flaps off as the pc is in my desk so any air blown out the back has nowhere to go except back in

Edited by chesters1

stick the room fan on the floor:)

otherwise its time to reconfig your fan setup around your box.

i have about 4-5 fans instead of the 9 i did have and its good despite the drop in fans and it doesnt sound like a small airucraft taking off now:)

maybe use a saw and cut a fan hole like i did in the side and that would help:)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg