Wingham Fish-In Catch Report

Steve Burke

Guest tigger

I've only just got back home after a tiring journey of 300 plus miles and seeming to hit every traffic jam out there.

I'm really exhausted after only catching a couple of hours sleep all weekend.

First of all thank's to Steve Burke for inviting me and thank's to Peggy for the barbecue and hospitailty. Thank's also to all the Bailiffs for their help and advice. :thumbs:

Here are a few pictures of my swim (sorry for the poor quality pictures I have an old doddery camera). :camera:

Winghamswimweb.jpg

Wingham1web.jpg

and the view of my rods and swim from inside my bivvy

Winghamswim1web.jpg

Saturday was a pretty miserable day with rain spoiling the fun and having no bites, however, the night brought about some excitement....

Not long after the rain stopped one of my alarms screamed and as I picked that rod up and felt an obviously heavy fish my other alarm also started to scream. They say you wait all day for a bus and then two come at once...must be the same for fish.

I felt like a Lemon with a rod in each hand and both pulling in different directions so I gave my mate Steve a shout to come and take the second one off me. That proved to be an eel of around 2 1/2lb but I didn't bother weighing this one as I was too busy with the other fish.

The first fish turned out to be quite a chunk of a tench at 10-04. Photos below simply don't do this lovely fish justice but hopefully you get the idea. I'm pleased with this fish as it is my pb Tench .

Tenchwingham1aweb.jpg

Tenchwingham1bweb.jpg

The tench was tempted by a hair rigged 14mm halibut pellet wrapped in halibut paste (quite a mouthful).

I had no more luck whatsoever apart from one eel about a 1 1/2lb last night.

Edited by tigger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to thank Steve for inviting me to fish his lake, even though I was feeling unwell and had to leave early.

I really enjoyed the experience, and would love to have another go sometime, maybe with slightly more suitable gear then a float rod and centrepin :)

Thanks also to Peggy for the great barbecue, and the bailiffs for the many taxi rides around the lake, I think I'd have passed out had I had to walk that far for my lunch!

I had 2 fish, a perch of around 8oz, that I returned unphotographed, and a 5lb 2oz tench that I'm sure will be a lot heavier in a few weeks, as it was a very long and slim fish!

5_02Tench.jpg

Thanks again to you all for a great weekend!

Mat

Mat

I've only just got back home after a tiring journey of 300 plus miles and seeming to hit every traffic jam out there.

I'm really exhausted after only catching a couple of hours sleep all weekend.

The first fish turned out to be quite a chunk of a tench at 10-04. Photos below simply don't do this lovely fish justice but hopefully you get the idea. I'm pleased with this fish as it is my pb Tench .

Tenchwingham1aweb.jpg

Tenchwingham1bweb.jpg

The tench was tempted by a hair rigged 14mm halibut pellet wrapped in halibut paste (quite a mouthful).

I had no more luck whatsoever apart from one eel about a 1 1/2lb last night.

The first photo does'nt do it justice but the second one certainly does, what a great lump of a fish, superb. I knew I would be envious when I saw the photos and yours has just started me off. Good fish; Steve Burke one very fortunate man to have wingham and share it with others

Steve Burke said:

"JK (Joel Kempson) and LJK (Len Kempson) - sorry I missed you today. You'd left before I had a chance to sit with you and have a proper chat. Unfortunately I couldn't stop yesterday as each time I got to your swim I'd just had a call for a taxi!"

Don't worry about it Steve, you, Peggy and the bailiffs had more than enough to do.

In fact Peggy's perseverance with the BBQ on Saturday went well above the call of duty - thanks Peggy.

As Joel has posted the piccies I'll not wax lyrical about Wingham itself other than to say alas, some of us had to back at work on Monday, so we were trying to pack a much line in the water time as we could :lol:

Things to remember for next year: New pair of wellies, the old boots have had it; New pair of waterproof trousers, the old ones have had it.

Check Number One Son's interpretation of, "Have you got the sleeping stuff?" to mean, "Have you packed both your's and mine sleeping bags?" not simply, Have you packed yours?"..... Actually the walk at midnight back to the car was quite pleasant and wrapped in down jacket quite comfortable to sleep in!!!

Ah well, we'll keep the fingers crossed for next year, thanks one and all for a new experience...

Len

Thats one Helluva Tench Tigger, well done :thumbs: , I bet you're well chuffed

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Right then, this is my catch report!

O.K I blanked! zilch even the "missed run" turned out to be my wife snagging the line attempting to cast a fixed waggler at 14` from a 13` rod in the face of the wind, That said this is the first time since a teenager I have " bivvied" up and fished over two nights and I loved every minute, even though I blanked, the anticipation , company and surroundings were awesome.

Thanks to all involved. ( maybe next year )?

Tenchwingham1bweb.jpg

That is one helluva tench - just look at the size of that rear paddle.

Lutra will be as green as a tench :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Not so much to report today unless your name is Den Darkin. I've lost count of his tench and so I'll not steal his thunder but allow him to tell the story - including the heartbreak of losing a real monster at the net!

Glyn also added to his tally with a female of 6-14 and a male of 7-02, but again I'll leave him to tell the full story.

The other main news is that the Carp Lake eventually produced a carp this afternoon. Si broke the duck with a new PB common of 28-00. Well done, Si!

On a downbeat note I'm upset to have to report that litter (not just the odd piece but a big handful) was found in the swims of a couple of guests. No, I won't name and shame them, but they certainly won't be invited back!

This is an appropriate time to thank all those involved. Firstly the bailiffs, Terry, Glyn and Tom, without whose work before and during the event there simply wouldn't be a Fish-In! You just wouldn't believe the hours they've put in this year - and all for just expenses and a bit of free fishing. Cheers, guys!

Secondly, my syndicate members who are unable to fish either lake during the event, and in particular those who popped in to say hello and help. A special thanks to Alex Ball who came all the way from Portsmouth, to Steve Campbell and son Ian for the breakfast on Saturday, Chris Bates who doubled the size of the original BBQ he made, and Eddie Court who did a rush job of installing 3 new water heaters.

Most of all though I like to thank my wife, Peggy, for the background work and especially for the BBQ. Peggy doesn't even fish and hasn't time to sit and chat to guests. Instead she just faces a major spring clean of the clubhouse, a big shopping trip, plus 3 days of cooking and clearing up, including on Saturday in the pouring rain. All this year after year without a word of complaint! Bubs, you're an angel!

It was great putting faces to names of those I hadn't met before, and meeting up with old friends from the Forum. In particular it was nice to see Soozie U's lovely smile again, especially at such a difficult time for her.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A special thanks to Alex Ball who came all the way from Portsmouth, and to Steve Campbell and son Ian for the breakfast on Saturday.

I forgot all about the bacon buttie welcome! Yes thanks from me as well Steve and Ian its a great way to start.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!