pole fishing help

kippaxkid

{admin note - I combined a number of related topics into one to make it simpler to respond. Newt}

Hi all , for years ive been a pleasure angler, over the last 2 years my 10 year old son has really got into fishing, i ve never used a pole myself , but my lad has got into pole fishing very quickly , started with a cheap telescopic whip etc , he now owns a decent pole as hes joined a club.My seat box etc is quite dated to the ones around now , and im looking to buy him a complete seat box station around £150 ,to £200 can i get one that is good for this money. Just a few questions , that im hoping some of you can help me with?

What it is a spray bar?

What is a pole sock?

How are pole roost used?

How on earth do you carry all the extensions foot plates etc what go on these box's , do they all fold up into the box or something? Or do you carry them all in a carryall?

Like i say im looking for a full seat box system that as everything he will need on it , footplate etc all the fancy arms and things.Birthday coming up soon.

Would be grateful for any help of you match men , and any extra advice..thankyou all

Hi my son fish's a commercial fisherie, catching carp 1 to 6 lb.

What main line and hook lengths/elastic should we be using.

Just starting to make rigs and learn him ,but i only ever fished rod..

Did a couple of rigs , with 0.15 main and 0.11 hook lengths , but lost hook lengths a couple time , am i setting up too light?

thank you all again

1 - a spray bar is a bar that fixes across the front of the footplate legs so that you can rest your pole on it to spray maggots/bait etc

2 - a pole sock is used to hold the front of an unshipped pole in to stopany damage or it flapping about.

3 - a pole roost is for laying out multiple topkits next to you while fishing for easy change over of setup

have never got my head round the damn metric line conversions so am more of a pounds and onces line man myself. you need to be lookin at 6-8lb main and a 3.5 ish hooklink with a 16 or smaller hook for 6lb carp adjusted accordingly for smaller fish. start with a 6 elastic going to 10 or 14 as the fish get bigger

One of the best things you could buy or acquire via the web ;) would be videos or dvd's --

I watched one the other day of Bobb Nudd and still picked up a couple of tips , think it was called pole fishing from the start

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Hi my son fish's a commercial fisherie, catching carp 1 to 6 lb.

What main line and hook lengths/elastic should we be using.

Just starting to make rigs and learn him ,but i only ever fished rod..

Did a couple of rigs , with 0.15 main and 0.11 hook lengths , but lost hook lengths a couple time , am i setting up too light?

thank you all again

thanks for reply jimpy.

Thought te spray bar was a rest , but couldn't figure out why its called spray...thks

pole sock now i know lol thks

pole roost , do you put 2 up on banksticks , one for each end of section? tks

thanks for all your help.

any tips on a seat box?

alright mate.

you will find a good seat box of ebay.

A spray bar (pole rest) is a cushioned bar that sits infront to help you hold/support the pole while you are fishing.

A pole sock is used to rest the end section that you take apart when u have caught a fish or just rebaiting.

A pole roost is used when you take apart your pole section you rest the section in order on the roost or your spare top sections or if you have made a rod up you could rest it on there so they are easy to grab when needed.

Some of the box accessories will prob fit in the bottom of the box, the footplate will either slide under your box or lift up on hinges (like mine) and the feeder arm and other long accessoies will fit into your rod bag.

To find out more info go on to www.youtube.com, they have got videos on there that will demonstrate these accessories.

I hope this info will help you.

kippaxkid,

A couple of handy accessories I would add to your list are a decent side tray to fit the box legs as this can be used to rest bait boxes etc on so that they're easily to hand along with stuff such as catapults, disgorgers, the odd bits and bobs that you use during a session.

Also a decent pole roller, which is a must and makes for much easier shipping of the pole in and out.

Telescopic legs fitted to both the box and footplate make it a lot easier to level the box when setting up, especially if it's a peg without a platform.

Check the footplate on your chosen box carefully to ensure that it doesn't fold up if your lad stands up on it with his full weight, some aren't as stable as they first appear ;) .

Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

kippaxkid,

A couple of handy accessories I would add to your list are a decent side tray to fit the box legs as this can be used to rest bait boxes etc on so that they're easily to hand along with stuff such as catapults, disgorgers, the odd bits and bobs that you use during a session.

Also a decent pole roller, which is a must and makes for much easier shipping of the pole in and out.

Telescopic legs fitted to both the box and footplate make it a lot easier to level the box when setting up, especially if it's a peg without a platform.

Check the footplate on your chosen box carefully to ensure that it doesn't fold up if your lad stands up on it with his full weight, some aren't as stable as they first appear ;) .

Thanks for all the tips guys keep them coming please