Lower Itchen Fish-in, part #2

Newt

Hi guys - so pleased that you all enjoyed it.

I think the LIF lived up to expectations, only thing missing was the chub !

The fishery lends itself perfectly to a fish-in, cars allowed alongside the swims, and an informal relaxed attitude by the owners / keepers.

I think this might be an annual event !!

Great to meet all the faces behind the names. Well done to all that broke their grayling duck !

John ( Kleinboet ) did it in style with a 2lb'er, whilst Russel ( Ratty ) follwed with a 1lb beauty.

Budgie led the way with several crossing the magic 2lb barrier, my best was around 1 3/4lb, but I mustn't mention it in front of Lynne

( I'm sure she'll forgive me....one day ).

This ones John ( kleinboet )and Paul ( Seph ):

Posted Image

The downstream view from this swim:

Posted Image

The day finished up nicely in the White Swan - Budgie you should write a book ! Thanks to you all and look forward to our next get together !

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What can I add!! A fantastic days fishing at a superb fishery :)

Had a few Grayling on the pin, what more could you want.

Problem now will be avoiding the temptation of a season ticket :D

Thanks for organising a great day Darrell, definately up for it next year :D

[ 20. February 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Graeme B ]

Had a craking day out to, even if the only thing I managed to catch was a 11/2Ib Grayling.

Oh well, what can you expect when, being an avid lure & fly fisherman, it was the first time ever I have tried to get my head around trotting.

Thanks for organising a great day Darrell!

Vidar & Faye

Ratty

Nice Grayling, awfull lip damage. I had a few with bad lip damage. Now why is this? I know this place is primarily a trout and salmon fishery, but it is obvious that the Grayling are not being treated right. Just because the Grayling take flies, that is considered a nuisance-well tough. To catch a Trout use some maggot or worm instead of making the job hard. It is not hard to catch Trout but then why make something easy when you have to pay silly money a year to make it hard. Sorry for harping but it p***** me off

Paul

Leon Roskilly:

I had a very enjoyable day at the Mational Mullet Club AGM today. Grrrrrrr!

TL - leon

ps Won a new reel in the raffle :)

It wasn't an Okuma Aventa VT 1002 was it?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

seph

i see where you coming from mate,but i think it could also be barbless hook damage,when they are hooked they twist and turn as i found out!a barbed hook in my opinion is far less likley to slip-maybe causing damage,it could be a sore from be caught a lot?i was using barbed hooks by the way pretty sure it wasnt my doing.

do send that pic too!

[ 20. February 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I think its less to do with barbed or barbless or even poeple with poor unhooking skills, but rather as Ratty says that twist and turn in the current and the hooklink often gets caught around their mouths and causes damage whilst fighting them.

Quite a few people do fly fish there for the Grayling as well as the Trout and Salmon.