Lower Itchen Fish-in, part #2

Newt

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I point out that the map on the Lower Itchen Fishery web site is a lot deceptive ---- the route appears to go from a red cross-road straight onto the A27,Mansbridge Rd.This is not true --- there is no left turn on the approach from the Motorway,and you cannot drive straight across from Bassett(?)Rd.

Best bet is to travel as a group from Asda,following Darell or some other local.I shall not be at Asda,so I can't help on the day.

Time to start winding you guys up:

This photo was taken some time back from the bridge that leads down from the country park. This is the view upstream I believe this is known as " Brighton Pier "

Posted Image

This one is taken looking downstream, I believe the large pool to the right is known as Lower Pike pool.

Posted Image

Appetites suitably whetted ??????

This one is the top of the stretch, looking up from Howards run:

Posted Image

The area to the left is marked on the map as the Pumping Station Pool. Where the main river first enters the pool, there is a deep undercut bank. This stretch is on my club ticket, the undercut bank threw up a 4lb 14oz chub to me a week last Sunday. There are some real banker areas here for good chub. I'm looking forward to fishing Reedy bay - which is just round from here, there's quite a few chub in there !!

Will be a bit of a walk if the track is still out of action, but well worth the effort.

I think I mentioned this on the other thread - but here goes again:

Can anyone get maggots by the gallon and hence get a good price ? If we all had 2 pints each that would be 5 gallons ???? Might save us all a few pennies - bit more bacon for breakfast :P

Have you tried Poingdestres for the Maggots?

The stretch from the Pumping House pool upto the Bridge in the photo, have been producing well for Grayling, Trout and Chub over the last few weeks. If you are fishing in the Reedy bay or Pumping House pool, a piece of quiver tipped Bread flake has also been getting some fish out.

I was going to go down tomorrow, booked the time off work today, got home and checked the ticket and it ran out today, damn 8-( Have to go somewhere else now.