LINES: Memory / Limpness / Wet-castability

The Diamond Geezer

LINES: Memory / Limpness / Wet-castability

In another thread about lines, Steve Burke asked about suppleness, limpness, memory and wet-castability.

As promised, I have retrieved from my archives, what data I have on these parameters: I should emphasise that of course I cannot comment re: lines on which I have no data, so if I don’t mention or recommend them, it doesn’t mean that they’re bad or good.

Also, the data are based on like-for-like Breaking Strength, not like-for-like diameter.

You should also bear-in-mind that these tests and data are considering these parameters in isolation and ignore cost and all the other PROs and CONs of the lines under test, especially abrasion-resistance (AR) where the ultra-thin braids have, of course, very little AR, BS-for-BS compared with monofils.

At the Top of the Class for lack of memory, limpness, suppleness and wet-castability are HPPE braids (not fusion lines) …. so no surprises there!

When it comes to nylon and co-polymer monofils, Berkley’s Trilenes BG, XT & XL and Stren’s Easy~cast are good, with Shimano Catana and Daiwa Sensor not very far behind …. but well behind .. in fact, right at the Bottom of the Class in the data-tables I have, is .. Maxima Chameleon … no-doubt that’ll make Poledark smile with self-satisfaction at being correct again.

I think it’s reassuring to find that the test-data on Berkley XL and Stren Easy-cast support their names and claims.

You owe me, Steve

DG

phil hackett:

I’m surprised to see Daiwa Sensor in there, I’ve always found it to curl like a pigs tail after a month or two and stopped using it for that reason. Maxima doesn’t surprise me, It’s always been known to be about as supple as a brick since it was first launched.

Phil,

Could be down to the the test-method perhaps. BTW, you're not confusing it with Super Shinobi are you, because I had that trouble with SS? Got to say (re-emphasise) that that Sensor's only in the middle-rankings, but above Maxima. Can't say I've ever had a big problem with Sensor, so your feedback is very valuable. Thanks.

Anyone esle had probs with Daiwa Sensor curling like a pig's tail after a month or two ?

DG

Thanks DG, very useful.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Thanks DG, very useful.

I also have some dry-castability data, but for the life of me, I can't think what earthly(or Martian) use it can be :confused:

DG

[ 25. February 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Anyone esle had probs with Daiwa Sensor curling like a pig's tail after a month or two ?

Yes, I have, but knowing you DG you'll be wanting facts and I can't give you them. I stopped using it ages ago. I don't like it, simple as that. Similarly, one of my trusted favourites, Maxima, was never going to win anything in the suppleness/limpness stakes, but I've never experienced a memory problem as such with it. Maybe I change it too often for it to materialise.

Like its floating counterpart Bayer Perlon, these two lines won't have been around for this long if they were seriously flawed methinks.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

quote:

Anyone else had probs with Daiwa Sensor curling like a pig's tail after a month or two ?

Yes, .... I stopped using it ages ago. I don't like it, simple as that.

Similarly, one of my trusted favourites, Maxima, was never going to win anything in the suppleness/limpness stakes, but I've never experienced a memory problem as such with it.

Maybe I change it too often for it to materialise.

Like its floating counterpart Bayer Perlon, these two lines won't have been around for this long if they were seriously flawed methinks.

Thanks v much, Paul, for that extra feedback. As you know, I have been a fan of Sensor and I'm sure that as, like you with your Maxima, I change my Sensor quite frequently (@ 0.6p/metre ), this may well be the reason why we haven't noticed too many problems with these respective lines ... and for me its other virtues especially low cost, outweigh any minor probs I've experienced.

And yup, totally agree with you about Perlon (though not with Den re: Sylcast) ... they've surely stood the test of time. Even Maxim'a not cheap though, these days

Thanks again PD for the feedback

Posted Image

DG

[ 25. February 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG...some blinding info your putting together on lines...I dont suppose there is any chance of you writing an article on this as a whole subject?

Or have I missed something and thats what you are already doing?.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Randles:

DG...some blinding info you're putting together on lines...I don't suppose there is any chance of you writing an article on this as a whole subject?

Or have I missed something and that's what you are already doing?.

Dave Barham's the chap for this ( see here )

His data's a tad dated now though, so if he's got any newer stuff no doubt he'll post it.

Mine's 2003/2004 data and I think maybe I'll do just one or two more posts about ..... abrasion-resistance .. and then perhaps .. braids

No chance of my doing an article though ... not very good at that ... unless Elt The Guv'nor puts me in an arm-lock

I think threads are better, though, because they give a forum :D for folks to add, comment etc

Also, as you know, my spelling's carp ... can't spell ledger or Arlesey bomb :rolleyes:

DG :cool:

[ 26. February 2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]