LINES: Memory / Limpness / Wet-castability

The Diamond Geezer

I think the fact that maxima comes out so badly shows the limitation of looking at statistics.

For most of my fishing these days I use braid usually Fox Submerge 15lb which is about as expensive as it gets. To my mind it is always worth paying for quality line. So why is it that I also still use still use maxima ?

I never use it as a hooklink only a reel line and for repeated casting of heavy feeders it is an excellent line.

Perhaps you do durability tests such as:

effect of 1000 casts of a 3oz feeder using 6lb test

effect of light on the line after 60 days exposure

effect of water on the line after 60 days exposure

and also look at distance that can be cast for a specific diameter of line.

I have tried Diawa Sensor and do use it still.... as cheap backing line.

The facts that i always seek to obtain before using a line are:

what is its actual breaking strain ?

how is the bs affected by different knots ?

what is its true diameter ?

how reliable is it ?

how much stretch does it have ?

how heavy is it after being submerged ?

how much stretch does it have ?

how abrasion resistant is it ?

how durable is it ?

how much memory does it have ?

is it prone to kinks ?

is it prone to tangles ?

does its colour change ?

how dense is it ?

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Nellist:

I think the fact that maxima comes out so badly shows the limitation of looking at statistics.

Nope, I don't agree, and I certainly don't accept that the data I have or have access-to, is flawed or skewed such that it has the limitations that you imply. These data are not stats or data interpreted in a stats way. They are the raw (i.e. actual) back-to-back data from tests on machines costing £10Ks e.g. inter alia Instron Tensile Tensiometers

quote:

Perhaps you should do durability tests such as:

effect of light on the line after 60 days exposure

effect of water on the line after 60 days exposure

I think, with due respect, you should read my postings more carefully .... especially as I have already posted data on diameter, castability, weathering (effect of UV light, air (oxygen), water, and temperature etc etc :rolleyes: ... and on B.S. ..which a lot of peeps incorrectly think stands-for Breaking Strain :rolleyes:Posted Image

Oh .. and Andy, ask yourself, apart from here on Elton's Forum(s), where/whenever have you seen such data published

DG

P.S. Andy, I'd also respectfully suggest that if you haven't actually tried & tested the other, say 20 lines, back-to-back with your Maxima and/or Sensor, then it's difficult to say how bad or good Maxima or Sensor is compared with the others. For example, have you tried Stren Easy~cast? And if so, how does it compare with Maxima on say, suppleness and wet-castability (which was the topic of this particular thread)? I have used all three (and more) and probably you have too.

[ 26. February 2004, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Perhaps you should list the lines and collect anglers' opinions on these factors for different lines using a questionnaire. I would be happy to fill them in for all the lines that I use.

A good idea, Andy ... maybe you'd like to spend the time collating all the questionnaire data ....... but I guess that would be down to Elt The Guv'nor if it's to be done via his Forum.

OK, empirical subjective factors, such as those, inter alia, you mention, are interesting ... it's just that I personally like to start with some benchmark facts if I can. Of course I use lines, and have been doing so for many years, and am able to draw over-all conclusions based on the test data and my own feelings ..but I couldn't put the latter on the label of a spool of line and sell it based on them!

Say what you like about Maxima, you can't defend it on cost .... and one of the main paramters that I've been trying to point-out in the other threads is the fact that we're being conned and ripped-off by several companies, making false claims for their lines, as evidenced by the test data I have, and have obtained, and other posters have provided (thanks), and has also been recently confirmed by EFTTA's recent shock-horror test results on 50 or so lines sold in the UK. From memory (I don't have the report right in front of me now), over 80% failed to meet their claimed BS or diameter, never-mind all the other more subjective variables of the kind you list.

My point is Why should fishing-line marketing companies be allowed to get-away with making false i.e. illegal claims for their products and over-charge us to-boot?! :mad:

DG

P.S. I may post some data on abrasion-resistance (AR) soon, so keep watching this Forum! Oh, and if it makes you feel better in advance, Maxima fares pretty well on this parameter alone i.e. AR

[ 26. February 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]