What do you do to stay fit?

Jeff S

Just curious what everyone on here does to stay fit. I stopped smoking last October not for any specific reason. I went back to the US and had a physical. The doc asked if I'd like to quit and after an extremely long pause I agreed. He prescribed a medicine called Chantix. After three weeks I found that I wasn't getting anything from the cigarettes so I just stopped. I used to chew tobacco as well in leui of smoking but quit that as well.

So at 18.5 stone (260 pounds) I finally became a quitter.

I found that I couldn't read a book to the Twins without being out of breath and try to get up the stairs. What a chore.

I started to diet in January documenting my caloric intake for everything that I ate and limiting myself to no more than 1500 calories a day. I weighed myself every few weeks. My final weigh-in was in April. There was absolutely no change in my weight.

Drastic measures! I started to excercise in late April still keeping within the 1500 calorie window with a few lapses. (I'm human after all) and honestly I was creeping outside that window at least once a week prior to excercising.

Now I do some sort of aerobic excercise at least 5 times a week. I'll jump on a cross trainer (low impact) and work off around 600 calories in about 30 minutes. I'll run on a treadmill for 30 minutes and can do just over three miles and I paddle six miles in my SOT kayak on the weekend without getting over tired.

I ran yesterday, completely surprising myself, just short of 9 miles in 1 hour and 42 minutes which included walking. I have lost a stone and seven pounds so far, and my resting heart rate has gone from about 90-100 bpm to <60 bpm.

I don't want to miss out on anything that my boys can throw at me! That is my major motivation.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i roll my own fags and type stuff on here :thumbs:

i,m about the same weight ,no probs with stamina but my knees are suffering carrying two people.

my mum fought her weight all her life and doing it was unhappy ,if i get past 59 not being unhappy then its fine as i will have outlived her.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i have been on zyban and two 21mg patches and still smoked ,great buzz but with nasty headaches.

my mrs tells me to start smoking again i'm not a nice person without them ,even after 6 weeks (my record) :(

i dont think its just nicotine thats the addictive part theres something else to.

i think some people are genetically programmed to be addicted to some things ,me and my mate used to go out every night and booze till we couldnt stand ,we did it for years but i can go without a drop for months he's a alchy ,same with drugs etc

addictions in some are very hard to break ,drugs are supposed to be very easy (a french study) but ofcourse you also have to remove the reason they use them so they dont start again ,even excercise is an addiction to some and just as harmful to some

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think your right Chesters. I guess I've been lucky in that I am pretty strong willed. I've quit many times but I think this one is final. I can't see putting myself through the withdrawls again. Plus I find that I compete against myself as far as time and distance. Had a friend ask me the other day if I had considered doing a triathalon. I didn't think I was up for it. I may have been wrong..

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

unfortunately i'm 54 which is the best age for a heart attack so i'm not going to see or test how fit i am ,perhaps puffing on roll ups is the most exertion my heart can take now on top of everyday exercise :D

i am extremely strong willed to but in everything bar smoking :(

even my old man dying of a heart attack directly caused by smoking didnt help

Edited by chesters1

been of the smokes for about 17 years now i sometimes get the urge to have one however my will power is strong

the only exercise i get is nooky 6 days a week ,some times the wife joins in.

only joking shes lovin it :thumbs:

and on the 7th day thou shalt rest IE go Fishing. :fishing:

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I walk three miles per day and I am encouraged by a very fit staffie who doesn't give me a moment's peace until I have taken him out! :D

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I completely gave up the a 20+ a day cigarette habit in 1990 after 10 years of smoking. I had a cardiac event in 2006 (not related to my smoking years ago I am told) and had a single stent fitted.

I cycle three times a week, although round here it's not very safe on the roads and I currently go horse riding weekly which is also pretty demanding (and expensive). I modified my diet slightly from September 2006, and although not massively overweight at 17 stone (I'm 6' 4"), I am now under 16 stone.

Edited by Lid