Pick up your live bait at the tackle shop?

lutra

As Nick knows, I joined that forum, and though many are alleged to have voted against livebaiting, I had one of the mods telling me they hadn't!

It's bloody hard work getting an opinion from someone on there, other than that of the Angling Times of course.

There are many who think if livebaits are allowed, only a few species should be used, none of which are carp of course. Which I find strange, seeing how they must be just about the most common species in our waters.

This is the snowball effect I was worried about. First some parties with 'ulterior' motives start it of, and then other 'issues' are added/picked up in the momentum, and woe betides anyone who tries to stand in the way.

Am I the only one who finds it more than just a bit scary?

Over the years,I've seen many changes in angling, but they came through gradually. Lately it seems as if a bulldozer is charging through, with little thought for the long term consequences.

Much of this seems (to me) linked to both the ATs, (Trust and Times).

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think its a good idea at all, I can think of quite a few reasons why. My first concern would be the tackle shops maintaining a high standard of healthy fish. My other concern would be that anglers would be transporting fish around in bait buckets in their cars. Dispite when you buy these fish from a dealer you will get some sort of reciept. But how is a EA bailiff to know if the fish in the bucket are the ones you bought from the shop? I can just see it being abused. To many ways to flaunt the law again.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

What a gap in the market. I'm surprised nobody's spotted it before. I mean, there must be almost as many livebait anglers in England & Wales as there are tackle shops. Obviously, not every angler will want to buy his livebait, but if every shop stocked one fish, there should be plenty to go round.

I know times are hard Elton, but keep your hands off the kids goldfish, it'll only end in tears. :nono:;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I also find it disturbing that "80% of AT readers is being quoted. Won't be long before this is being stated as a fact (followed by the circulation figures).

Den

EDIT: Deeted - Worms said it so much better than I could!

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

What a gap in the market. I'm surprised nobody's spotted it before. I mean, there must be almost as many livebait anglers in England & Wales as there are tackle shops. Obviously, not every angler will want to buy his livebait, but if every shop stocked one fish, there should be plenty to go round.

:D I'm a bit slow today and had to read this twice, but got there in the end!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I use live baits, whether its for Pike, Eels, Zander, Catfish, Perch, Chub and Trout. Would any tackle shop sell the diverse selection of baits that I would require (very, very doubtful).

More to the point why should I buy my livebait from the tackle shop, (I have kept trout for livos and they are a real pain to keep, any shop trying to keep them will have to shed out for a decent aeration system) the old chestnut of transferring disease is a load of old twonk.

I live, and fish in and around the Trent valley, at least twice a year the Rivers Trent, Dove and Derwent bursts its banks enough to turn it looking like the North Sea.

Most of the gravel pits, lakes and ponds around the area to the flooding get a population boost from the overflowing rivers (and no doubt it happens visa versa) and do we ever see vast amounts of diseased fish....

A big no from me, I'll carry on doing what I've done for over the last 25 years thanks.

I use live baits, whether its for Pike, Eels, Zander, Catfish, Perch, Chub and Trout. Would any tackle shop sell the diverse selection of baits that I would require (very, very doubtful).

More to the point why should I buy my livebait from the tackle shop, (I have kept trout for livos and they are a real pain to keep, any shop trying to keep them will have to shed out for a decent aeration system) the old chestnut of transferring disease is a load of old twonk.

I live, and fish in and around the Trent valley, at least twice a year the Rivers Trent, Dove and Derwent bursts its banks enough to turn it looking like the North Sea.

Most of the gravel pits, lakes and ponds around the area to the flooding get a population boost from the overflowing rivers (and no doubt it happens visa versa) and do we ever see vast amounts of diseased fish....A big no from me, I'll carry on doing what I've done for over the last 25 years thanks.

if it was in my neck of the woods you could see that up here we seem to have the carp is king mentality where lakes silver fish populations are removed and 4 ounce carp filled in to keep anglers happy

if i take three of the better specimen waters we once had a park lake a small dam and a large dam these three waters have been destroyed. at one time they all produced roach well in excess of a pound pike to mid 20's tench in the 5-6 pound bracket and mid 20 carp two did close to double figure bream

now one has been destroyed by illegal introductions of pastie carp from the neighboring club water (the park lake was free and night fishing was common place the club lake cost money and has a 5-11 limit) thankfully someone else has nicked most of the carp from there to put into another lake (the large dam amongst others

the small dam was once one of the finest local waters you could hope for good roach rudd crucians carp pike perch eels all to good sizes

now its stuffed full of tiny carp and every pike finds its way into a bin or into a stream at the back

the big dam sees year on year stockings of carp for the tent brigade who cant catch these carp and reckon they are dying being stolen (its fenced of and you need a key) or just not feeding so the response is stick more simmos in

ive lost where i was going with that now :rolleyes:

oh yes we have had several svc khv outbreaks and a few where no definate cause could be pinpointed

and yes we do get the odd old boy taking a few roach between waters for the pike

but the amount some of these carp have moved in shakespere seat boxes is unreal

in fact one water has probably stocked more waters with carp than most fish farms the carp breed 3/4 times ayear though so there are always plenty of them and no carp end up going in there but the odd few roach do and you know what its never been hit by a disease to my knowledge

anyway rant over

Edited by noodle996

They are called fish farms!! Clean well looked after fish from a sustainable source at a sensible price! What is it with anglers and bleeding tackle shops?

If you think fish farms are sustainable. I suggest you do further reading on the subject!

Agree with all your other points though.