Largemouth Bass: suitable lure-fishing tackle

The Diamond Geezer

Can't possibly mean me Budgie. I've read and

re-read what I said and couldnt find an arrogant statement anywhere. If it was me please point me at the 'arrogant' bit. If it wan't me then I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

The point of taking that much time to explain about braid is that even Newt I suspect would agree that the use of 10lb with the diameter of 4lb mono would be suicidal for any half decent fish that headed for cover with your lure in its mouth. That's what was happening with a number of bass anglers who had tried braid and rubbished it because it broke under the pressure. That is a common tale on the forums and whilst Im quite happy to run with my own opinions, I suspect that something of that nature was also on DG's mind.

As for the US developing braids and not knowing anything about them, then it is partially true. As in the UK, braid was first used by the salties for deep water fishing. The wrecking boats in the UK and the long distance charter boats in the US were using braid way before their freshwater cousins ever noticed it. It was as I recall, marketed as Dyneema. It wasnt as sophisticated a product as it is now but it worked. Mono was king in freshwater and there is still a certain resistance to using braid. Go onto any of the well used bass forums, look under 'tackle' forums and check out the discussions about lines. Its not about which braid to use, its about whether this or that mono or fluoro is the best. That's the way it is and thats the way I decribed it.

I also have fished the rivers and lakes of Maryland and Virginia myself since 1971 so I'm not exactly a newbie. So Budgie which was the arrogant bit?

One thing further Budgie, dont ever apologise for me. Thanks all the same but if I speak out of turn, I'll apologise for myself.

Over to you Budgie for the 'arrogant 'bit and over to you Newt too, I would be interested in your view.

Lastly Budgie you started your opinioned piece with 'Well what can i say' Sometimes 'nothing' works best.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Newt it was a simple question. I'm not aware of contradicting anything you said. So were you talking about mono or braid?

argyll - patience my boy, patience. And chill as my grandchildren would say to me. :D I was away from the PC for a bit and not trying to avoid your question. Also, please feel free to contradict me whenever you want. If I was right, you are liable to get a long discussion of how you were wrong but that's about the extent of it.

I was thinking of mono when I said 10-12 lb line which you could probably assume if you think of the fact that the superline braids tend to go up in 5 lb increments of b/s. Granted, Power Pro now does an 8lb but ...

I don't use the light b/s superlines on a bait casting reel but mostly because I don't like the way they handle. I do use 10lb powerpro on my spincast reels though and like it well under most conditions.

Flipping or Pitching into heavy cover and I'll move up to fluoro of 17-20lb and that's such short range work that there really isn't much advantage to be gained by using a braid.

Otherwise, I spool my reels with PowerPro in a 30lb because I like the way the line behaves. About the only time I go with a non-braid is for working crank baits deep and for that, fluoro is the line of choice. Slightly smaller diameter than mono which is nice and it sinks which is also nice. Gives a little extra depth to the lure. If I ever found a sinking braid I liked, I'd probably use that in preference to fluoro.

For the lakes mentioned in this thread and especially for smallmouth fishing, I'd recommend an 8lb mono or a braid of the same basic diameter. Deep is easier with a finer line and there usually isn't much cover to worry about.

If they opt for rivers in the same area, then the 8lb b/s is a little light although I'd still be comfortable with my 30lb PowerPro with the same diameter.

I use a lot of the stuff and I haven't noticed the abrasion problems I keep reading about. Not to say they don't happen but I think the issue is way overblown.

If you drop a me a post when you plan to be in MD or VA and doing some fishing, maybe we can get together - or maybe you'd enjoy one of the carp fish-ins if one is happening while you are there. Especially if you make winter visits, there is a warm water discharge in a lake on the VA/NC border that has hungry fish all winter. Water stays at 60º or above even if the air is well below freezing. I drive up there for the carping but the guys who use soft plastics from shore usually manage 15-30 bass most days.

Don't know what sort of fishing you do the most of but the same WWD is full of Talipia and they frustrate the heck out of me. They travel in large schools and you can catch one on almost any reasonable bait. You then have the devil's own time trying to catch a 2nd regardless of what you try. They will attack many types of groundbait or floating goodies but will avoid the ones with a hook like it was diseased. Since I'm told the UK fish do similarly, maybe you can figure out a way to fool the crittes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt, I guessed you were talking mono.

I dont think I was too far short of the mark.

I've not been over for a little while but I'm trying to arrange a trip at the back end of this year back to Silver Spring MD. We usually fish the Potomac, favourite spot used to be rock hopping just below Grand Falls. The carp that were there in small numbers in 1971 seemed to have taken over in recent years. Five years ago we fished for largemouth up at Harpers Ferry. I also had smallmouth on the fly around there. I'll definitely contact you when the trip is sorted although I might just give the carp a miss.

[ 17. April 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

Good. Please do.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A bit touchy Gerry! I was more concerned about the trace thing really.As for BS of lines mono or braids the Yanks can hardly be acused of fishing to light.

It struck me as a bit bad that people were trying to preach the safety of pike and muskies when they obviously new nothing about the fishing state side.like it or not I see a lot of my fellow country men trying to force our angling morals on to other anglers in their own countries.

When it comes to all aspects of lure fishing we are still a long way behind the US.Makes me laugh when I read people going on about break throughs in this area when I have read the same thing in US magazines 20 or so years ago.I agree with your statement about salt water fishing and Spectra but even the arival in freshwater fishing was well over 20 years ago now.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm not used to be called arrogant and having apologies made on my behalf. How would you have reacted? My sole reason for coming in at that point was to steer DGs friend away from the suggestion that 10lb Power Pro with 20lb fluoro on the end was a good idea. I saw Newt's posting and nothing I said was really at odds with that. The fact that he's there and I'm here doesn't disqualify me from having something useful to add. I thought I did.

Hmmmmmm ...thanks for the constructive advice. I think I'm gonna suggest that my colleague and his son get all his tackkle while they're over there in the States, as it's so cheap. Baitcaster rod, plus something like a Shimano Curado reel, 30 lb BS PowerPro or similar braid (with the diameter of 10 lb BS nylon mono ), and lures and location advice from the tackle-hypermarket(s) closest to their nearby lake(s). I guess they'll get the whole set-up and 100 lures for less than $80 ,,,, I'm envious :mad:

Cheers

DG