Largemouth Bass: suitable lure-fishing tackle

The Diamond Geezer

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My general/usual/go-to rods are 7ft medium action with a round baitcast reel and 30lb powerpro line. I'll generally have a pair of those and maybe 3 or 4 more specialized rods/reels.

Lures - depends on the season of the year, the water conditions, how much I feel like concentrating on the fishing and how hard I want to work.

For instance, soft plastics are probably the best performers but you really have to pay attention to them or miss the fact that you've been bit.

Crank baits generally let you know when a fish hits the lure but they require the most physical effort.

Spinner baits are probably my best compromise lure and lazy sod that I am, the ones I use the most.

If I were interested in getting the most and the largest fish all the time, soft plastics would be it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

My general/usual/go-to rods are 7ft medium action with a round baitcast reel and 30lb powerpro line. I'll generally have a pair of those and maybe 3 or 4 more specialized rods/reels.

Lures - depends on the season of the year, the water conditions, how much I feel like concentrating on the fishing and how hard I want to work.

For instance, soft plastics are probably the best performers but you really have to pay attention to them or miss the fact that you've been bit.

Crank baits generally let you know when a fish hits the lure but they require the most physical effort.

Spinner baits are probably my best compromise lure and lazy sod that I am, the ones I use the most.

If I were interested in getting the most and the largest fish all the time, soft plastics would be it.

Thanks for that, Newt.

Care to recommend some Brand Names of

a) soft plastics

B) crank-baits

&

c) spinner-baits, please ?:

DG

Brands - well sort of but not really but sometimes. :)

Crankbaits - usually Rapala has a nice low price and they tend to run properly so I can recommend them. Otherwise, it depends on how much you want to spend and how much use they will see. Yozuri and Luck Craft both make outstanding lures but you pay for the higher quality. I have a few and they are the only ones where I've bothered to change them over to a titanium ring for mounting the hook so that if they hang up, a strong, steady pull will open up the ring and I get back the lure minus the hook.

Spinner baits - if you (whomever) plan to use them long term, I'd suggest getting ones with titanium wire. Initial cost is higher but they perform well and last well. Stainless steel wire needs adjusting often (to continue running right) and will fail after a few months hard use. More info Here.

Soft plastics - more a matter of getting a shape that works well in a particular location. Crayfish and leech would both be good up where your friends plan to fish. For this, whatever the local tackle shops stock (if it's a fairly small shop) should be a great indication of what works well locally.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

Crankbaits - usually Rapala has a nice low price and they tend to run properly so I can recommend them.

Yozuri and Luck Craft both make outstanding lures but you pay for the higher quality.

Spinner baits - if you (whomever) plan to use them long term, I'd suggest getting ones with titanium wire. Initial cost is higher but they perform well and last well. Stainless steel wire needs adjusting often (to continue running right) and will fail after a few months hard use. More info Here.

Soft plastics - Crayfish and leech would both be good up where your friends plan to fish.

Thanks very much, Newt

Posted Image

DG

Newt, et al.,

I've just found this article about lure-fishing for large-mouth bass here

It's about lure-fishing for them in Continental Africa, and what I'd like to know, please, is whether this advice applies equally well to the USA

Thanks in advance

DG

Yup. 100% applies to the US and old bucketmouth.

More good stuff http://www.bassresource.com/html/tipsindex.html