A day out on the "Cassie"

Snatcher

My mate George on the Clash site has the fishing bug again. His boat the Cassie has been "mothballed" for ages but this summer has seen him launching from the MOG on quite a few occasions .
I was invited along as "deckie" with him yesterday. We launched at about noon with the intention of having about 3/4 hours out. We had to get back sharp as the Ipswich/Toon game was on tv at 17.30( Newcastle won 4-0 )

From the launch we headed straight out and put on the mackerel flies. I elected for a smaller shrimp rig and after our third move we eventually started picking up a few fish.

My shrimp rig just drove those gurnards crazy and I must have caught close to twenty over the session. Getting all 3 species which was nice.

1-28.jpg

5-13.jpg

After we had enough mackerel for bait George switched to hokies baited with mackerel strip. He was looking for a cod for his tea but the couple of cod he caught were undersize so were carefully returned. We were also picking up coalfish,pollack,haddock,whiting,launce and George even managed to bring up an octopus which he shook off at the surface.

3-17.jpg

The pair of us on occasions were bringing in two fish at a time which was nice

4-15.jpg

Had a bit craic with Toonfireman who was fishing from his boat the "Joshua",not sure how he came on. I think he was anchored up after cod.

2-20.jpg

On the way back in to the trailer George took us close into the rocks so I tried spinning a sandeel. I managed to pick up one decent pollack of about 5 lbs which I unhooked in the water. Well what a great day it had been and all the fish being returned bar the mackerel. Thanks for another great day out George.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Nice one Snatcher, have you tried a bit of fresh pollack? Very nice eating fish.

Yes I have and it is. Seem to recall making pollack fishcakes a few years ago and they went down a treat. I tend to only keep the odd fish these days,most of what I catch goes straight back in. Its the hunt and the scrap that pulls my string. Just trying to make sure there are fish around for the grandbairns to catch :)

If that sounded like a sermon it was not meant to be by the way :rolleyes:

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy