Internet explorer problems

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

Hi,

I've had firefox installed on the laptop for sometime and all has been fine, but just recently it seems to keep forgetting who I am (who says PC's don't suffer dementia??). It'll ask me for a username and password for a site i've selected to log me in forever automatically and then tell me I need to input a username and password after I've just done so. A couple of other sites keep logging me out too everytime I try to navigate to a new page. Its like its losing the login data somewhere.

I decided to use internet explorer for a while till I get to the bottom of the issue. Problem is my explorer keeps giving me a http404 bad request error on what I know are legitimate links and I'm at a loss to explain why.

Let me give you an example.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk will take me to the main bbc website fine.

If I click on the Afghan bus bombing story on the left hand side in the headlines, I get the page not found error.......its trying to take me here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/homepage/d/int/new...sia/8280012.stm

Now if i simply highlight this address and ask it to refresh the page, it changes the url to this ..... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8280012.stm and the page is displayed fine.

Any help with either of these issues would be most welcome.

Guest Brumagem Phil
Have you at any point turned off cookies?

Not that I'm aware of steve, but will check it when the kids are not on it later. I seem to have sorted the IE problem......did some googling and it suggested I flushed the DNS and now I'm not getting the 404 errors. Hopefully they won't be back.

I created a file in c:\ named ip.bat that consists of only

ipconfig /flushdns

When I click on start>run and key in ip it runs that batch file which clears the cache. It will work on any windows version from NT4 through Vista and probably Windows 7.

It is pretty well step #1 for me when the PC beings failing to find web pages I know are good.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

In 10 years of internet use i've never had this problem (bar the odd genuine page not found of course)......I must have been lucky.

Thanks for the tip newt.

In 10 years of internet use i've never had this problem (bar the odd genuine page not found of course)......I must have been lucky.

Thanks for the tip newt.

Another way to do this Phil is to right click on your network connection and select repair.

Running ipconfig /flushdns works just fine in Windows 7 BTW.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I thought it would Cory but its good to hear from someone who uses that OS.

I've noticed that some sites are more likely to suffer from sludge in the PC's local DNS cache than others. This forum or the eBay boards are usually the first for me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

Any further help with this guys? The same problem is back but a dns flush is not correcting it now. I've rebooted the laptop and reset the router but nothing seems to change it now.

Any settings I need to check?

IE is coming up with lots of page not found errors but symptoms in firefox are slightly different, it keeps forgetting that i'm logged in so have to repeatedly log in on page swaps.

Bit odd. If you are being prompted to log in again, it is likely that the website is failing to keep track of your session. Often, the way that websites maintain session information is through cookies in the browser, hence me wondering whether they had been turned off.

On this page, do tools/page info then go to security and then cookies. Can you see lots of cookies for anglers net?