Jumping Bream!

tiddlertamer

In ‘The Little Book of Fishing’, a fishing A to Z book by charismatic angler Rob Yorke which was published in 2004, there is a chapter on fish that jump from their watery surroundings.

There are the normal suspects including game fish such as salmon and rainbow trout that leap from the water when hooked, the tail walking pike, the carp that suddenly and inexplicably jump and then crash back into their lake, and fry escaping from predators.

There is however a much more surprising candidate. And I quote: “... and bream at Old Bury Hill Lake, in Surrey, have a remarkable tendency to take to the air in a way that is quite uncharacteristic of the species.”

Is he pulling our leg, has he been spun a tale that he has fallen for, or is he in fact spot on. A remarkable leaping bream! :unsure:

My own experience of bream fishing is limited though I did once catch a 5lb 12oz bream right under my rod tip on the river Avon which thrashed around the swim, banging its head about furiously, but didn’t take to the air. Then again, this wasn’t the Old Bury Hill Lake!

With a reputation for fighting like a paper bag when brought to the surface rather than leaping into the air, what do other members of this board think about this claim?

Anybody here fished the famous Old Bury Hill Lake?

And did the bream leap? :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Yes , bream jump, but only when hooked in my experience.

At two or three waters I fish for roach, I fish up in the water to avoid bream, but sometimes the bream come up in the water also. When they do, and steal my roach baits, they jump when I strike (I tend to strike firmly and hold). As I am usually fishing close in, I think this jumping is a panic reaction at finding themselves in trouble near the bank. The bream concerned are usually in the 2 to 4 lb bracket.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Flying Bream.

I once had a few skimmers do it when i was fishing a shallow swim on the pole, very strange when it happens.

Is Bury Hill shallow then? I always thought its old lake was famous for the fact you could punt there but punting poles can be quite long. :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I've had this happen to me at CEMEX Yateley (Pumphouse & Horseshoe lakes) a number of times in the past - very disconcerting to see a 6-7lb bream leap clear of the water when hooked - not what you expect!!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Yes same here i had bream that would jump out of the water when hooked and that was at stambridge fishery in the late 90's in about 10 feet of water. i was fishing up in the water not on the bottom.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

It is true, Tiddlertamer, I have had it happen many times to me at Bury Hill. The water is not particularly deep in a lot

of the swims and when hooked they belt off and leap clean out of the water! but after this initial exitement they usually revert

to type and give up.