What's with the Carp hating?

Gone Fishin

I love catching carp but am not a "serious" carp angler, You wont find me in camouflaged battle dress camped out in the cold nights, in my opinion anyone can catch carp using 15lb line, size 6 hook and a tree trunk to haul them in through the weed, if fishing for them i use a size 12 barbless hook 6-8lb line, small float and just lightweight float rod and i have never been snapped off and left a hook in carps mouth, Last week i landed a 23lb leather, and played correctly managed to get it through lots of weed that was growing on bottom of the lake (Manor farm)

Carp are a great fish but i would much rather catch a 7lb bream than a ten pound carp.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carp are a great fish but i would much rather catch a 7lb bream than a ten pound carp.

For me the challenge is whether you can catch a large fish of any species BY DESIGN on the CORRECT tackle; and not just by accident on Carp tackle.

An 8lb-9lb Barbel usually fights harder than most 10lb-15lb fat bellied Carp (maybe excluding a true wildie which have been lost to us anyway). I think that I would rather catch a 15lb Barbel on a pieceful part of a river than a 30lb Carp on a Bivvy laden lake anyday.

I; like a lot of Ex-carp anglers (that are much better than me; including Yates, James, etc.) have moved away from carp so much because it is no longer such a challenge compared to other fish like the Barbel or large Tench, although I still love carp, I only fish for them on waters that don't attract the usual Bivvie Brigade (with which I was one once).

It is getting common to hear of waters that have been ruined by the overstocking of the dreaded Carp where the Carp Brigade seem to think that all anglers that fish for anything else are noddies, but a lot of them (not all) would have their eyes opened if they ever caught some nice Barbel (without their carp gear and long range leads) in a remoter section of river.

But if you enjoy the banter and companionship of your fellow Carp anglers while you laze away your days and nights with the occasional interruption of a run, and spending your evenings making up endless traces and baits then thats fine, but it's just not for me and an increasing number of other ex-Carp anglers. :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

There are a couple of points that a few seem to have missed, and I'd like to try and clarify before this thread dies it's natural death.

First I can't understand why anyone would single out one particular angling discipline for abuse.

There are many things that pose a threat to angling, and the only way to beat them is to show a united front.

Those that choose to pick on carp anglers as a whole, are aiming at the wrong targets. There are those that choose to fish for carp, and those that have been manipulated into thinking that carp are the only fish to try for, (the in species).

Many are relatively new to angling, and have been bombarded by articles and advertising saying that 'this is angling' from day one.

Just look at any of the angling mags and there it is, "100lb of fish in 5hours" or "We have (x number) of 50lb carp and 100lb cats' in our water", all artificially stocked to bursting point, or with 'ready made specimens. Then the tackle manufacturers plaster adverts throughout the paper, showing their 'must have' latest tackle to use in these waters. Is it any wonder that so many are lured into this branch of 'angling'? The promise of 'easy' fishing and 'instant' results, without having to really learn anything other than cast and wait, (a few beers and a laugh with the mates takes care of the waiting bit).

It wouldn't be so bad if they stuck to those waters, but they don't, and because they have no knowledge of any other way to fish, they carry on the same, to the annoyance of the rest of us.

It's not carp anglers in general that are to blame, but the commercially driven campaigns that aim to swell their ranks through hype.

Second point is that it's not the carp itself that is the problem, it's the inane stocking policies that are used.

Because I get a bit carried away by the subject, I have been asked many times why I 'hate' carp?

As I've said just as many times I don't. What annoys me is the total preoccupation with them in all their forms. Because they are relatively cheap, grow to a large size, will eat almost anything, and adapt to most conditions (or change the conditions to suit them), then they are the ideal 'commercial' fish to stock, add a few thousand cats', sterlets and whatever comes with the 'job lot' and you have an 'instant' fishery, and an 'instant' income.

This would be fine if it stayed at that, but because these waters are usually overstocked and many anglers have been 'conditioned' to higher expectations in both number and size, then the associations that were the 'backbone' of angling are expected to do the same. (I can never understand why so many anglers choose to pay £7-10 a session to fish these waters when the associations offer many miles of bank space for about £30-40 per season). Then (if your like me) you stop getting an association book because you become so disillusioned with the whole thing, and the association memberships fall.

Leeds and District ASA used to have a membership of over 10,000, the last time I looked it was struggling at around 3,000. Bradford No1 used to have a waiting list, not any more. The knock on effect of this is that they have had to let some good waters go, to become private or syndicate waters.

Angling is being changed, and not all change is for the good. I can see a time when cheap open membership to a club or association will be gone, and unless you are able to afford a large subscription fee to a syndicate or limited membership club, then you will be left with these 'commercial' type waters and the limited type of angling they provide.

There are always the rivers of course, but much of that has fallen into private hands and I believe more will follow. The 'clout' that came with the large membership of the associations will be gone, and the access to many miles of river gone along with it.

I know I've repeated some stuff from my earlier posts, and I apologise, but it seems that many see this thread as a 'us against them' issue, and I don't believe it is.

Along with apathy, the infighting between disciplines has long been an issue within angling, so I don't expect either to change much, but if threads like this can just make a few stop and think about their angling and where it's heading, then I feel something will have been achieved.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Im with you all the way there John.Far to many see this as an "anti carp/carp angler" thing when its not.It couldnt be further from the truth.I wish to preserve all angling as it should be and not angling as the people who want to make money from it see it.

A "sport within a sport" is a comment I recently heard thaty is very true.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As usual it is a story of everything in its proper place. i would like to see the introduction of carp into rivers banned. its ok to have commercial carp waters and people can choose to fish them but so many are getting into rivers now that you even see carp anglers bivvys, three rods and all on rivers. there should be freedom of choice but it seems that that choice is diminishing.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

As usual it is a story of everything in its proper place. i would like to see the introduction of carp into rivers banned. its ok to have commercial carp waters and people can choose to fish them but so many are getting into rivers now that you even see carp anglers bivvys, three rods and all on rivers. there should be freedom of choice but it seems that that choice is diminishing.

True Peter, but how can they stop escapees? Many of these 'fisheries' are built on flood plains, so they are bound to get into the system.

It's not just carp either, I dread to think what got dumped into our rivers last year!

The idea of having a section 30 (or whatever it's called) to cover the movement of fish, is a farce. These fisheries are spilling out carp in all their forms, (including mongrels and hybrids), as well as catfish and the rest of the 'exotic' mix into the river systems yearly, along with any diseases that might be present!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This division is much like back in the 40's and 50's, if you were a course Angler you were looked down upon by the fly fishing brigade, course fishing was not considered proper Angling IE sitting on a stool watching a float, waiting for a fish to come along and find your bait.

As for species getting into the wrong areas, I was told the other day that 2 Seals were seen in the town stretch of the River Welland in Spalding, they must have come down the Welland from the Wash and somehow through the Locks or over the land bit, I bet they had a field day with the Roach, Bream, and Perch

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

So you would not allow carp to live and thrive in the Thames? many would disagree.

Carp in the Trent................nothing wrong with that river,

Carp in the Medway, never been much good anyway,

Trouble with rivers, is not the few carp that get in there, it is the **** poor state of the river and its indigenous stock in the first place.

And please don't tell me rivers have deteriorated, most were pretty poor even 60 years ago. Anglers have deserted rivers because of the poor stocks and general lack of big fish.

How many fish the Kennet for Roach and dace? Very few, due to lack of stocks..nothing to do with carp.

Vagabond blames the coloured water emerging from carp lakes fo the poor trout fishing in his streams. Very simple conclusion, it doesn't explain the steady deterioration that has been happening for at least 30 years, doesn't take into account the years of very low flows causing poor spawning results due to silting of the gravel beds.

Final point (I may have already said this) my local (nearest my house) carp lake..dug for carp...stocked with carp and some tench, has just produced a pretty big roach for me (about 13" long).

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

We tend to have some big bluegills in our (muddy, featureless, overstocked /w carp & maybe buffalo) carp paylakes.

Much like other preds, they thrive on being ignored.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yeah, that isn't a good thing

The rivers is one place where I thought I could get away from the bivvies, noise, bombardment of spods, boozing and general attitude lol