What's with the Carp hating?

Gone Fishin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing i dislike about carp fishing is that all the "40lb specimens" you see them with in magazines are usually just 20lb fish with 20lbs worth of fat hanging off of them. I dont see the point in hating any aspect of angling though and love catching carp.

It's not a case of hating carp, or carp anglers, it's just the fact that carp have been introduced in such vast numbers to some waters, that the choice of fishing for other species has been taken away.

The whole mentality of the modern 'easy catch' and 'instant fish' type of fishery (and all in the name of money) has ruined a large part of angling for me and many others.

A whole industry has been created around the carp, and sadly a lot of newcomers think that carp are the only way to go.

It's created a type of 'angler' that only thinks in terms of catching, nothing else, and catching more and more, with the least amount of effort on the part of the angler.

Because of the numbers in which they have been introduced, carp will (IMO) eventually be the most prolific fish in our waters, to the cost of the other species, and that's the day I hang up my rods for good.

And despite what Den says, (we've discussed this before) it is not jealousy, it's losing the choice that's the main thing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's not a case of hating carp, or carp anglers, it's just the fact that carp have been introduced in such vast numbers to some waters, that the choice of fishing for other species has been taken away.

The whole mentality of the modern 'easy catch' and 'instant fish' type of fishery (and all in the name of money) has ruined a large part of angling for me and many others.

A whole industry has been created around the carp, and sadly a lot of newcomers think that carp are the only way to go.

It's created a type of 'angler' that only thinks in terms of catching, nothing else, and catching more and more, with the least amount of effort on the part of the angler.

Because of the numbers in which they have been introduced, carp will (IMO) eventually be the most prolific fish in our waters, to the cost of the other species, and that's the day I hang up my rods for good.

And despite what Den says, (we've discussed this before) it is not jealousy, it's losing the choice that's the main thing.

John.

In a nutshell. Spot on gozzer :thumbs:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That and the fact that lakes filled with ever hungry often diseased fish with no lips that are caught every week until it's time to net them out and plough them into a field in order to replace the stock is very likely to see angling either banned or severely restricted at some point in the future.

For me, the only good thing about carp and carp fishing is that it leaves the rivers free for me to fish. But even that's a two edged sword and eventually, we'll get to the point whereangling clubs won't have enough cash generated by river anglers to pay the leases.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

That and the fact that lakes filled with ever hungry often diseased fish with no lips that are caught every week until it's time to net them out and plough them into a field in order to replace the stock is very likely to see angling either banned or severely restricted at some point in the future.

For me, the only good thing about carp and carp fishing is that it leaves the rivers free for me to fish. But even that's a two edged sword and eventually, we'll get to the point whereangling clubs won't have enough cash generated by river anglers to pay the leases.

Couldn't agree more on the rivers comment...suits me fine.

I like carp (commons) as they are beautiful fish but as said above, seems to generate a particular mindset amongst anglers which isn't my cuppa tea.

I remember when I started fishing carp were 'mysterious' fish you dreamed of catching above anything else and were so highly prized, these days it's a different story, a good 15-20lb fish is sniffed at

Gozzer (post 13) and Ken L (post 15) between them sum up the situation exactly.

Apart from a very few enlightened clubs and commercials who provide a few "carp-free" lakes, the choice on still waters diminishes yearly. Den, if you could hear my language when I'm fishing for still-water roach at Deerdrink (still seeking that two-pounder) and find I've hooked yet another double-figure carp you would surely withdraw the charge of jealousy. My sigh of relief if the size 16 hook pulls should remove any further doubts you may have. Carp were misguidedly introduced at Deerdrink about twelve years ago, and have definitely downgraded the fishing. Even the tailwater from the lake has downgraded, it used to support trout, but is now too muddy.

Ken is right. At the moment I have miles of club river where (apart from the barbel swims) I rarely see another angler. I wonder how long the other 259 anglers in the club will continue to subsidise my river fishing?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yep, tracking down and catching a carp in a "natural" water with a normal stocking density is a real challenge and those sorts of catches are worthy of considerable merit but obese fish fed on boilies or the aforementioned lipless pasties from an overstocked muddy lake just don't float my boat.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Good point about river leases Ken. I hadn't thought about that until now but it could be a real worry.

I love the mystery that carp fishing can give (or used to give.......?) and the writings of people like BB and Chris Yates are magical. Carp are part of our fishing heritage now and they still offer a fantastic challenge. But the darker side to them as been exposed by other postings here.

Although, it is man that has created the problems rather than the fish themselves.

I was fishing an old club pond a couple of years ago and was going to my swim in the corner when I was asked for my ticket. It turned out the guy was the part of the club committee and when hearing I was after carp said I should go to the new club lake the club has made. He was so proud of it. "Loads of carp in there, much more than here" etc. I thanked him but didn't want to break his heart by saying that the idea of fishing a windswept, souless hole on the ground for dozens of 4lb carp was not my idea of heaven.

There are/were some lovely double figure carp in this old pond. Ghost-like, purple submarines. Hard to catch but worth the effort. But over the past few months I've read reports of "re-stocking" with thousands of small carp and I dread to think what is going to happen. It's a small pond that just did not need it. They seemed obsessed in turning every water into 'bagging' waters.

But they're stuck between a rock and hard place. If people don't catch, they won't go. But one thing that carp fishing has taught me is that there's more to fishing than catching fish!

Here are the two ponds in question. Which one would you rather fish?

SP.jpg

K.jpg

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.