What's with the Carp hating?

Gone Fishin

Steve, so it is a good mixed fishery then? :)

Something for everyone :)

Same old story really, "you pays your money, you take your choice"

I just find it a bit depressing that for most waters these days, the only choice is between big carp and little carp.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the same stocking policies are being used on old estate lakes, association waters, mill ponds, canals, in fact just about everywhere there's water.

...and if its not carp they are stocking, then its mongrel cyprinids.

Just to cheer you up John, heres a quote from the 2008 newsletter just received from one of my clubs.

at the end of May a hundred Crucian x Common carp will be introduced into ....Lake

Its a small estate lake already holding roach, crucians and tench.

Just what a crucian-seeker needs - a hundred bl00dy hybrids competing for his bait!

I'd have a blast at the committee, but its not a local club and I'm just an associate member (and its their river fishing I joined up for anyway) so would be seen as just an interferin' furriner.

Den, yes, fishing is what you CHOOSE to make it. Agreed absolutely.

...but - how long is that choice to last? The available (but diminishing) choices will see you and I out, but what fishing choices await our grandchildren?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Steve, so it is a good mixed fishery then? :)

Something for everyone :)

Same old story really, "you pays your money, you take your choice"

You could say that, yes. I don't really resent the carp puddle; I've even fished it once, when a young relative came down to visit. He enjoyed himself, I think, and as a one-off I think I'd have loved to do the same at his age. I might even fish it again this year, but only if I can manage a thick enough skin to fish it with a fly rod... :lol:

What I would resent is if the club started stocking other waters this way.

Sorry about coming in so late in the discussion, I normally dont go on to threads that are specifically Carp! IMHO I think Carp keep anglers honest! How often, when fishing for Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch etc. your line suddenly screams away with a Carp on the hook! And the sense of achievement when you catch a large Carp on very light line!

It is the "Carpers" that are the problem, as they only know one way of fishing for them, and pour scorn on those that target other fish! (This does not include the experienced anglers who CHOOSE to target for Carp)

I have a LITTLE lake near me that is a lovely mixed fishery. It is only about fourty feet across at its widest. They come and fish it with 3oz leads, cored line, back leads, buzzers etc. - the whole nine yards! Talk about overkill!! I get fed up when you try and help them by explaining that you can catch carp without all this gear and getting told to "F*** off - I KNOW how to catch Carp!!!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I think I can say that had anglers had the transport/tackle that we have now, added to the availability of lots of carp being sold, then the carp fishing explosion would have started a long time ago.

I'm off fishing now, got the bug for a big roach.......................

Den

Your probably right Den, but it would have been wrong then, just as it is now, and can you say truthfully if you think you would be the 'all round' angler you are today if it had have happend then?

Would we have known the likes of the late Fred J, Dick Walker, Peter Stone?

If we had then I feel that the wealth of knowledge and diversity of thinking that they produced would be swamped by the mundane uniformity of the angling scene.

That is unless you were lucky enough to have the money or access to one of the few 'untouched' waters.

I don't know who started the ball rolling, the first big one I remember was Billy Makins complex of lakes/ponds. These were built I believe mainly for match fishing, (I'm afraid it was the match fraternity that I heard cry out for more fish in the first place), but soon it became so easy to just dig a hole and fill it with crap, that anybody with a bit of land and spare cash could do it.

Most of these had no knowledge, or indeed interest in water management or fish welfare, just money.

Then the tackle manufacturers saw a niche market and jumped in both feet, followed by the angling press eager for money from sponsors and advertising.

By then many anglers and especially newcomers and youngsters were faced with this 'one way street' that led them to the one type of fishing.

It's no wonder that I meet so many young (and not so young) anglers that complain if they haven't caught in a couple of hours fishing, so the fishery is crap, or feel that somethings wrong if they haven't had a double figure fish by the time they are 11!

To a lot of these kids angling is like a video game, turn up, cast out, catch, and keep catching. Most kids get bored with a video game and move on to another one. This is just one of my fears with the future of angling.

The amount of hypocrisy that's within angling never ceases to amaze me.

Much emphasis is put on good handling and fish welfare, we extol the virtues of angling, call it an 'art', say how we are the 'guardians of the waterside', conservationists and nature lovers.

Anyone who uses a keepnet, doesn't use an unhooking mat, (dare I say :unsure: ) takes a fish 'for the pot' :o , or uses a livebait caught from another water, is jumped on by many, and even faces the chance of prosecution.

Put all that alongside stocking man made puddles to incredible levels with fish, (many of which are alien and of dubious origin and ancestry), providing conditions that allow any disease to spread easily, and not containing these fish, so that they can spread into any local system to the detriment of resident stocks.

I know which I believe will cause more damage to our fisheries, and it's not the use of a keepnet, or the transfer of live bait, more fish escape from these waters, than any a pred angler could use.

John.

P.S. Good luck with the big roach, I hope you don't get pestered by too many aliens. ;):D

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

People hate carp because they are known liars - and shifty with it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I don't hate carp in fact I enjoy fishing for them,they are a strong fish that put up good fight,I dont call myself a carp angler though as I only target them now and again,I haven't got a bivvy and I usually use fairly light tackle.The problem I think may rest with some of the carp anglers (not all of them)who seem to think that the carp is something very special,theres a gravel pit that belongs to one of the clubs I'm in that holds carp and pike,in the predator forum on the club website theres often mention of not lure fishing for pike next to carp anglers because they get annoyed, also there is rule that you cannot fish this water without an unhooking mat but other waters that dont hold carp have no such rule. Its not the carps fault.

Sorry but id have to say carp are my favourite fish to try and catch. There are so many different techniques and baits etc so its never the same thing twice and you can always keep it interesting, the problem is the people that don't bother keeping it interesting and just go out ready for war with 4 rods all matching equipment and bite alarms that look like something the secret service would be using, now that just isn't fun and that is what fishing is all about for me, enjoying it and maybe if im lucky catching a nice fish.

No bite alarm can give you as much excitement as watching a carp slurp down your hooked mixer or watching your float twitch then shoot under after you've just put your bait where you know a fish is or just was.

One of the waters in my club was recently surveyed by the EA and they found that there were a lot of undersize staunted fish, the club decided to net it and remove alot of these fish ans stock some small carp between 8oz and 3lb. There are already a few carp in there and they want to use it as a match lake..... I would have thought that the small staunted fish was a result of not enough predators in the lake and that it would have been better to stock perch and pike and let them have a field day on the small fish for the next few seasons until the balance was restored again. I'm not against carp, the last time I went fishing I fished for carp on the surface but I can't understand a stocking policy like this.

Errrm