What's with the Carp hating?

Gone Fishin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I took option 3 (surprise surprise). I caught loads of fish on both ponds, including a new PB Tench (not difficult, I've only ever caught 4 ;) )

It did just what it says on the tin

but

It left me feeling a bit flat, a bit unsatisfied somehow. So much so that I packed up earlier than I needed to because it was getting a bit repetitive.

I think I've done that bit.

I've learned a lot in the last few weeks, I can now use the tackle much more competently and I am happy I can put myself into a position where I can catch fish, if they are there to catch so I think I need to look for something a little more challenging.

This weekend I have a friend coming up from Darn Sarf and I will be introducing him to the delights of fly fishing for large trout from a float tube. We might also have a go for the pike on the fly, also from a float tube, but the week after I think I am going to give option 2 a try. You'll never know if the roach are there 'til you fish for them. I'll just have to travel light :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Just catching up with this thread, been busy.

Den I don't think that your an 'odd ball' (I'll leave that decision to people who know you better ;) ), your just fishing in a way you chose, because your lucky enough to have the choice.

I do know some waters that have been overstocked with carp, some is an understatement though. Without thinking too hard I can think of 8-9 waters that are local to me, that have gone that way.

A couple were waters that I particularly liked, where 15 or so years ago, I could go and have a choice of what I fished for, now it's a case of maybe catch a few roach and then the carp move in (in numbers). You move and the same thing happens. These aren't muddy puddles, but old gravel pits of 30+acres, that have been spoiled by inane stocking policies of the clubs that run them.

But if your waters are anything to go by, then I've only another 35yrs or so to wait for it to become a decent mixed fishery again, (unless someone decides to restock in the mean time).

You say that you spend much of your time trying rigs there instead of trying an easier water, doesn't that prove my point about them?

Sportsman, I would have gone for option 2, but again you had a choice and made a decision, the fact that you felt as you did after fishing there, gives you an insight into my feeling about them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Looks like the backlash is spreading.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well Gozzer, if your 30 acre pit is so overstocked with carp that you can't avoid them then it is totally outside my experience. There must be thousands and thousands of them in there.................................

I don't know anywhere around where I live that is stocked like that.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Well Gozzer, if your 30 acre pit is so overstocked with carp that you can't avoid them then it is totally outside my experience. There must be thousands and thousands of them in there.................................

I don't know anywhere around where I live that is stocked like that.

Den

That's what I've been on about Den, not hundreds of carp but thousands of them.

I gave up my membership of one association about 7-8yrs ago, after being a member since I was 15 yrs old. The lake was one of the main reasons I held the book, and I just got so fed up of the same thing happening on every visit, I decided enough was enough.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Well Gozzer, if your 30 acre pit is so overstocked with carp that you can't avoid them then it is totally outside my experience. There must be thousands and thousands of them in there...........I don't know anywhere around where I live that is stocked like that. Den

Join Thatcham Angling Association and pop along to Jubilee Lake, then you'll experience it. It's a huge lake on the TAA 'Lakes Complex' where catching carp is an absolute doddle, the lake is packed with them.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

One could always eat them. Anyone for carp, Shanghai style?

Youtube Video ->

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That Video made me physicly sick and I only watched a couple of seconds of it, I couldn't watch anymore.

How can anyone prepare a live fish

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive