why coarse fishing?

tonyx5610

just a question to all coarse fishermen, and not in the negative sense, but what do you get out of catching a load of small fish that put up little or no fight just to return them,also why do some of u spend a fourtune on poles etc to catch these small fish , i know angling is a pleasure to take part in but i cant understand this fascination ps im not knocking you all im just trying to understand why

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony

Because I enjoy it.

Just as I enjoy whacking 6 to 8oz of lead into a North sea gale which has a wind chill factor of minus 10 on a winters night, just to catch some undersize whiting which I throw back!!!!!!!!!

I also enjoy chucking a hook with some feathers and other bits attached to it to catch Trout that have been stocked just so that I can catch them for no other purpose than that I enjoy it!!!!!!!!

Not all course fish are small, there is a very nice varied mixture of coarsefish there to catch and I dont't care if I am fishing for tiddlers with a whip/pole, a 3oz semifixed boltrig for 20lb+ carp or a lure for predators.

I take it you have not had the pleasure of an early season tusstle with a nice big Tench, bagged up on bream or battled with an Autumn Barbel.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

But not all coarse fish are small, and my best is 128lb. Interestingly my coarse fishing relates mainly to carp and pike now a days. When I go trout fishing I am happiest catching wee broon troot, I catch loads and loads and put them all back, I fish a 7.5ft #4 outfit so I do get a bit of a bend in the flow, not into stocky rainbows at all, no matter how big they are. Also very much enjoy shore fishing when I am on holiday, never caught anything big, I am not very proficient at it but a small cuckoo wrasse or doggy is very enjoyable.

As per my post on another thread, "use the right tackle and most fish are actually quite big"

What fish are you targeting ?

tonyx5610:

just a question to all coarse fishermen, and not in the negative sense, but what do you get out of catching a load of small fish that put up little or no fight just to return them,also why do some of u spend a fourtune on poles etc to catch these small fish , i know angling is a pleasure to take part in but i cant understand this fascination ps im not knocking you all im just trying to understand why

I think you're confusing the term coarse fishing with match fishing here!

I don't fish for anything that doesnt fight well and I only go Coarse Fishing.

Cant speak for everyone of course but you will find for most "all round" anglers it is the bite that is the most important thing for them.Be it a 3" roach pulling under a minute pole float or a 30lb carp making a bite alarm scream.The thing is of course that eternal anticipation of what exactly might pull that float under or set that alarm off.

Out of interest exactly what do you fish for and where Tony?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Lemme see here.

- do own a pole but only bring it out once or twice a year for fun.

- freshwater fishing is all for coarse fish (by UK classification). Did a little game fishing years ago but not lately.

- really enjoy the fight with catfish (my pb is under 50lbs but I keep hoping), buffalo (pb under 40 but still hoping for an 80), gar (still trying to break 20). All these fish have a real aversion to being hooked and let you know it.

- would love to try pike and musky fishing one day if I ever get where they live. Hear they fight pretty good too.

- really don't enjoy fishing when I have to be tied to a chair and have the reel tied to me. That's too much like work IMO.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, imagine hooking a 20lb pike on a lure at sunrise, mist rising off the lake. Enjoying the fight, tense moments through reeds and lilies where your heart is in your mouth, then it makes a screaming run away when you think its ready, as you go to chin it out(or net it), it makes an almighty leap 4ft high splashing you with water and tail dances amazingly, you finally get it in, and lift a lump of 20lb, your first 20lb pike.

Scales shinig in the early sunlight, and a swishing of the tail in a last ditch attempt to escape, then finally after admiring it, slipping it into the water, getting a swoosh of a tail and watching it dissapear into the depths with its camo, then bolting off like a torpedo!

Just to wet your appetite!

---Stefan---

Because it is pure escapism, it is a return to the basic primeval instinct of mankind to hunt; it being at one with the surroundings, because I am drawn to water, because I find fish fascinating, because I enjoy the big outside, because I like the adrenaline rush, the quite anticipation of a fish taking the bait, the mental involvement and dexterity, the satisfaction of catching! Because I love it! And to *iss the anti's off!!

For me coarse fishing is what i was brought up to,its reasonably priced(you dont have to spend fortunes on gear),its accessable, reasonably local to home and a lot of the fishing is still free! :) .

I also just like to be out on the bank,in the fresh air and with nature.I do the odd bit of sea fishing and used to go trout fishing quite a lot,but still like me good ol coarse fishing most of all,perhaps I cant really get to grips with smashing trout or cod over the head all the time !!.

Regards.Chuby.