why coarse fishing?

tonyx5610

`cause we can

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Malevans.I often flyfish for small wild Trout in Derbyshire streams.It is not the size of the fish that counts but overcoming the problems involved in catching them.

Saying that I am an allrounder and see all fish the same.There are challenges involved in catching any fish,the size is irrelevant.

Can't really explain any better.

DF

tonyx5610:

just a question to all coarse fishermen, and not in the negative sense, i know angling is a pleasure to take part in but i cant understand this fascination ps im not knocking you all im just trying to understand why

Seems to me Tony, that you have not done much catching of fish. Eh. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

[ 16. April 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Because I'm a masochist. Though not to the extent of some anglers, who'll wait out all night for one bite.

It's also a bit like golf, which I took up for a short while. I'd go out, play dreadfully, and ask myself why I bothered. But then I'd start to think of ways I could do better.........

In addition, I'm a member of the 'Crabtree generation' who read a book which captured our imaginations. As a teenager I used to dream of misty mornings fishing for tench, of 'sail-away bites' and all the other 'atmospheric' angling jargon that lives on in anglers'net. It's all to do with dreams. I also used to dream of the Kennet, for some reason - and then I came to Newbury (on Kennet) - strangely getting a job I never applied for.

john clarke

tonyx5610:

what do you get out of catching a load of small fish that put up little or no fight just to return them,

Me? Absolutely nothing, that's why I don't fish for small fish.

Small fish can be induced to take your bait.

The angler can make a difference.

So there's plenty of jigging the bait about and resetting the rig.

Even on the coldest most windswept day you will find some out of the way corner where the fish will oblige.

Recognising the signs, finding the fish and then tricking them into a take.

Now there is a game.

Set the hooksize, line and float to match the fish and then the skill is needed. NO bait alarms, bait runners, bombs, or military hardware is needed. Above all there is no time to sit in a bivvy. I hardly have time to sit in a chair.

The mind cannot sit in neutral, just as in fly fishing.

Still ..... silly ole me. I suspect it just comes down to it passes the time while the angler waits for a big one.

"Muddlin' along"

Newt:

quote:

- freshwater fishing is all for coarse fish (by UK classification). Did a little game fishing years ago but not lately.
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is coarse fishing? :confused:

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Severus, see my article British & American Angling Compared at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve07.htm

And a belated welcome to Angler's Net!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

severus:

Newt:

quote:

- freshwater fishing is all for coarse fish (by UK classification). Did a little game fishing years ago but not lately.
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is coarse fishing? :confused:
Others might suggest that it reflects on the common or garden species that us thoroughly coarse types fish for. This is opposed to game fish that the rather more refined fellows fish for, more generally fish for the table. There was a time when the UK had the most exhaustive class system in the world, it even entered the wonderful world of angling.