Best lever drag

n4lly

To strap to a 12 lb rod.

Looking at a Shimano TLD 15.

Should i be trying to track down an ABU 6600 C3 LD ?

Am i in the right area, or is there better ?

Cheers.

B)

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hiya,

To strap to a 12 lb rod.

Cheers.

B)

I would try and track down a TLD10 or a TLD5 for it as the 15 is a tad on the heavy side for a light rod like that, I've got a 10 that I've abused for years and cant fault it and if it can stand up to what I put it through it's more than capable for down sarf :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Yep, well .... Shimano had a winner with the advent of fine braids and the TLD5;

then they cut it off.

I've still got mine and it's excellent.

I won a Penn Int. 975LD and it hasn't let me down in 8 years or so ('gilling' mostly).

Perfect for 12lbs test.

pennint1.jpg

Penint2.jpg

PERFICK!

The excellent 225LD is probably better matched to a 20/30.

You know, I can't understand the infatuation with LDs unless you are in the habit of catching tuna, wahoo and other biggies 'on the troll'.

A 525/535GS will probably land you anything you can catch in the UK!

But choose the gearing carefully if you are braid and biggies.

To be honest, I'd go back to Shimano ...

Calcutta or something.

:rolleyes:

Penn is making some nice stuff right now.........

post-17362-1254633714_thumb.jpg

"Listen or your tongue will keep you deaf."......... Native American Proverb

“Oh, I could spend my life having this conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies”...... John Cleese

"Eat wild fish/shellfish...... not something from china"...... Stillfishing

To strap to a 12 lb rod.

Cheers.

B)

:D Depends on what you want to pay and what you are hoping to catch. Plenty of star drags if you're after "normal" fish but if it's hard and fast fish a LD is the way to go. Shimano, Penn, Avet, Accurate, they all produce a small LD and some in 2 speed too. In the end it's all down to personal preference and cost. I'd look for a good S/H TLD 5 or 10 if money's tight, if not, one of the aforementioned reels. :D

Hiya,

I would try and track down a TLD10 or a TLD5 for it as the 15 is a tad on the heavy side for a light rod like that, I've got a 10 that I've abused for years and cant fault it and if it can stand up to what I put it through it's more than capable for down sarf :)

Was on Shimano's web site before posting, they only start with a 15.

In 2005 Norrie said the TLD 5's were like rocking horse poop...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Shimano...city-t5463.html

Would a 10 be 6500 size / weight ?

Have been using Abu 5500's the last couple of trip's and as i'm getting into bigger

and bigger fish, they are a bit under gunned line capacity and drag wise.

Norm, would like an Avet (just for the tart status) but which one ? for Bass, Pollock, Cod, drifting wrecks in the channel ?

Cheers guys.

Sean

B)

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Norm, would like an Avet (just for the tart status) but which one ? for Bass, Pollock, Cod, drifting wrecks in the channel ?

Cheers guys.

Sean

B)

I'm currently looking at the Avet MXL 5.8 for wrecking and possibly more general stuff http://www.rokmax.com/product.php?prodid=1...XL+Series+Reels

I aked Rok-Max for info on spool sizes etc. and the MXL has a line retrieve of approx 34" with a full spool. The weight is comparable with an Ambassadeur 7000. Although rated as a 20lb class reel

The SX is rated as a 12-20lb class and the single speed has a retrieve of approx 27". The two speed has retrieve rates of approx 32" and 20". This reel is tiny (14 oz)!

http://www.rokmax.com/product.php?prodid=1...X+Series+Reels+

I am sorely tempted!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Would not touch an ABU 6600-LD!!! I had one and was glad when it went over the side!!!, big bass (I think) riped the rod out of my hands, (I have poor grip in my right hand) the clutch just did not work well enough, it was always sticky! I have six 7000's and a 6500 Rocket, great reels, but the 6600 . . . :thumbdown:

By the way, the insurance company paid up :D Suveran 12-20, plus ABU reel = £300! I bought a new Suveran and the Rocket as a replacement to the 6600.

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Was on Shimano's web site before posting, they only start with a 15.

In 2005 Norrie said the TLD 5's were like rocking horse poop...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Shimano...city-t5463.html

Would a 10 be 6500 size / weight ?

Have been using Abu 5500's the last couple of trip's and as i'm getting into bigger

and bigger fish, they are a bit under gunned line capacity and drag wise.

Cheers guys.

:D Go for the 2 speed, you'll not regret it. I personally prefer the Accurates with the twin disc clutch but the Avet is half the price. The earlier Avets were prone to corrosion problems but I'm told they've cured it, time will tell. There is a new Shimano out, the Talica I believe, not sure of the price but well worth a look if you can find one, super looking and feels good to, not had one to review yet, too new. :D

Sean

B)

I found this test of Kenzaki boat rods. The guy was fishing in 300' of water and using MX Avets on the two smaller rods. They sound impressive! {Especially as he didn't even comment on the reels' ability)

http://www.planetseafishing.com/reviews/re...ecial-boat-rods

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!