Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

Good grief man! Well done, what an amazing couple of hours! That perch looks every ounce of 3.11, I bet you're over the moon :)

It was really foggy here first thing, which meant that the dawn dragged out until about 8.30. I fished from 6.45 to 9am for the perch, and only had one bite. It was from this fellow, at about 8am when I was about to give up hope:

DSCF1342.jpg

I didn't think it would make the magic 3, but it did with a whole ounce to spare :D I guess this means I'll have to get out of bed earlier in future...

Once the sun had burnt away the fog I gave up on the perch and wobbled some smelt back to the car. This was great fun, and resulted in 4 takes from little pike, only one of which I managed to land :rolleyes:

All in all, a very enjoyable morning.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Anderoo - early mornings are definitely my favourite time - if for no other reason I usually have the places to myself. We'll have to rename this thread the "3lb Perch Thread"!

:D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well done Anderoo - early mornings are definitely my favourite time - if for no other reason I usually have the places to myself. We'll have to rename this thread the "3lb Perch Thread"!

:D

C.

I have to admit, it was really magical being there before the sun rose and feeling the world come to life. I wish I'd taken some photos because it was a lovely, moody, autumnal dawn, especially with all the thick fog.

The cat liked me getting up that early too, as she got an extra breakfast :D

It would be nice if this thread is kept going throughout the autumn. I'll do my best to add to it, hopefully with a report and picture of a big bristling perch from the Thames...

(Although I'm reverting to type and hitting the perch stream at dusk again tomorrow! With all these 3s, there must be a 4 there somewhere, surely...)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good grief man! Well done, what an amazing couple of hours! That perch looks every ounce of 3.11, I bet you're over the moon :)

It was really foggy here first thing, which meant that the dawn dragged out until about 8.30. I fished from 6.45 to 9am for the perch, and only had one bite. It was from this fellow, at about 8am when I was about to give up hope:

DSCF1342.jpg

I didn't think it would make the magic 3, but it did with a whole ounce to spare :D I guess this means I'll have to get out of bed earlier in future...

Once the sun had burnt away the fog I gave up on the perch and wobbled some smelt back to the car. This was great fun, and resulted in 4 takes from little pike, only one of which I managed to land :rolleyes:

All in all, a very enjoyable morning.

Congratulations Anderoo. What a fantastic perch

Is lobworm the bait of choice to catch big perch?

Trotted under a float on a big size 6 hook?

I always float fish with small hooks and small baits. Size 18 hooks with double red maggot. Time to change tactics methinks. :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Congratulations Anderoo. What a fantastic perch

Is lobworm the bait of choice to catch big perch?

Trotted under a float on a big size 6 hook?

I always float fish with small hooks and small baits. Size 18 hooks with double red maggot. Time to change tactics methinks. :)

Hi TT. I almost always use lobs for big perch, but on some waters (like the Thames) hoardes of small ones make it annoying and expensive. I use 6lb mainline and a 6lb finer diameter hooklength (usually double strength) connected by a small swivel. On the little stream where this perch came from, it's very shallow, up to about 3', so I normally fish the lob hard on the bottom, but if the crays are a problem I will shallow up and let it chug about. But I've had several good perch on a worm that's been sitting on the bottom for quite a long time, so as long as it feels like it's in a good spot, I'll just leave it. No other loosefeed. To stop the worm burying away or tangling the hooklength, and to create a nice scent trail, I break it in two and hook both broken ends.

On deeper venues, you have the added broblem of getting the depth right...

Lovely perch, Anderoo! I felt inspired, so I spent this afternoon on the Thames after perch. I wanted a near bank feature to fish a float to, but was foiled by a barge parked upstream of the spot I had in mind. Actually, I'd have happily trotted down the outside of the barge to the feature, but he had a little boat tied up to the side of his barge that just stopped me getting where I wanted. Instead, I found myself in another favourite swim, quivertipping lobworms to a far bank feature.

Unfortunately, due to a miscalculation of my worm stocks and the persistent attention of the damn crays, I ended up with two small perch on successive casts with my very last worm, just as the sun went down. I'm quite sure I'd have had several more fish over the following 20 minutes if I'd had any bait left.

Ah well, next time.

My day was a blank as also i was being pesterd by crays and very small fish pecking the bait but i was not connecting. i got fed up and left early which i know is the wrong thing as dusk is a good time but my heart was not in it. i will be back as autum goes on

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

A blank here too, although Richard caught a really good looking (and extremely fat) 2lber, so at least I saw a perch! We were very unlucky with the weather; all morning it was thick, heavy cloud and drizzle, and as soon as we got there at about 3pm the sun broke out and it turned back into summer. Judging by the bulge of Richard's fish they'd been feasting all morning and switched off as soon as we arrived, and were even too full for another feed at dusk :rolleyes:

PLEASE can we have some rain now!

I know - it's set the bar rather high - and is only 3oz shy of my PB - will probably turn out to be my biggest of the season! :rolleyes:

C.

Let's hope not Chris! ;)

That second fish looks a cracker, and the black eye really stands out. Do you feed maggot whilst fishing lobworm?

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"