Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

Good grief man! Well done, what an amazing couple of hours! That perch looks every ounce of 3.11, I bet you're over the moon :)

It was really foggy here first thing, which meant that the dawn dragged out until about 8.30. I fished from 6.45 to 9am for the perch, and only had one bite. It was from this fellow, at about 8am when I was about to give up hope:

DSCF1342.jpg

I didn't think it would make the magic 3, but it did with a whole ounce to spare :D I guess this means I'll have to get out of bed earlier in future...

Once the sun had burnt away the fog I gave up on the perch and wobbled some smelt back to the car. This was great fun, and resulted in 4 takes from little pike, only one of which I managed to land :rolleyes:

All in all, a very enjoyable morning.

Another stunning fish Anderoo!

I love seeing specimen perch probably more than any other fish, save for roach and the two on this thread are crackers.

Incidentally, I have a mistral avon float exactly the same as that one. Do you know if you can still get them?

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were very unlucky with the weather; all morning it was thick, heavy cloud and drizzle, and as soon as we got there at about 3pm the sun broke out and it turned back into summer.

Yes, I noticed that too! The river is full of fry at the moment. I scooped a few out in my landing net earlier in the session, but chucked 'em back. Of course, when I ran out of worms I went looking for them again, but couldn't find any!

Another stunning fish Anderoo!

I love seeing specimen perch probably more than any other fish, save for roach and the two on this thread are crackers.

Incidentally, I have a mistral avon float exactly the same as that one. Do you know if you can still get them?

James P

Thanks James. I got that float from a local tackle shop (States Tackle in Witney). In fact, at the time I was buying 3 Drennan rods and - even though they gave me a good discount - asked them to bung in the float for free :D It's a perfect boy's perch float isn't it, just the job!

If you can't get hold of them PM me your address and I'll stick a couple in the post for you.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Drennan are selling a crystal version of the classic perch bobber:

drennan%20float%20bobber.jpg

I prefer Anderoo's float, or one of the crowquill avons in my box, but these Drennan ones are traditional in shape if not in construction!

Great perch...has to be one of the UKs nicest looing coarse fish!

I've never really gone out to catch perch by design but with failing pike & barbel stocks they seem to be thriving in the Avon where I fish and the autumnal feel seems right to fish for them.

I do remember when I started out fishing catching lots of good stripeys on maggots ledgered wiuth a feeder..do you think the perch hoook themselves when attacjking smaller fish at your bait/feeder

Results coming in thick and fast now!

With a thread record, and new PB, to Chris at 3lb 11oz, I can see this getting serious. Apologies if you do not thrive on a little light hearted rivalry :D

Unfortunately, I had other commitments at the weekend which, true to form, resulted in textbook Perch conditions!

Anyone care to join in a little wager? Guess the biggest Perch to appear on the thread, caught by an AN member, between now and the close of the season.

Lbs and ozs, only guesses under, or spot on, the winning weight count. Go over and you're bust.

I'm sure a small prize could be sorted out for the winner.

Results coming in thick and fast now!

With a thread record, and new PB, to Chris at 3lb 11oz, I can see this getting serious. Apologies if you do not thrive on a little light hearted rivalry :D

Unfortunately, I had other commitments at the weekend which, true to form, resulted in textbook Perch conditions!

Anyone care to join in a little wager? Guess the biggest Perch to appear on the thread, caught by an AN member, between now and the close of the season.

Lbs and ozs, only guesses under, or spot on, the winning weight count. Go over and you're bust.

Nice idea! (You do know that Steve Burke is a member, right? :o )

I am after bream this weekend, but conditions do look very perchy so I think a float-fished lob might find its way into the lake. Although I don't think I'll be challenging Chris just yet! (3lb 11oz is better than my PB by a very significant ounce :D )

I think Chris's may well be the biggest this season, but in the interests of the game I will throw my guess into the hat - 4lb 2oz B)

(Caught by me please!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice idea! (You do know that Steve Burke is a member, right? :o )

I think Chris's may well be the biggest this season, but in the interests of the game I will throw my guess into the hat - 4lb 2oz B)

Who's Steve Burke? ;)

I'm sure there will be a few good fish caught this season, especially as big Perch are becoming more widespread than they were a while back.

I've not heard of many Perch around or over the 3lb mark around here, but i'm sure that's because not many people target them, if any.

I'm off out Saturday/Sunday morning for a few hours each to try and target some Perch, but seeing as we have so much water in my area it's going to be hard locating them. Might have to get the lure rods out.

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Oooer! I think 3lb 11oz will be hard to beat! My guess is 3lb 13oz.

I doubt it will be caught by me though!

Rich