Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday's fun trotting session charged me up nicely, and so today I went out after the big perch again. The long-promised rain never really happened - just some light rain/drizzle in the morning - and I wasn't sure if I'd missed out again. Perfect conditions, and I'd already decided on dusk or bust...

Just like last time, it was bright sunshine by the time I got there at about 3.30, typical! And also, very strong winds. I was hoping to see some extra water and a proper flow, but it's still low and still. At least the colour was good, about 8" visibility. Not ideal conditions, but there's always a chance!

I settled into my old banker swim from last season (which, judging from the perch float hanging off the overhanging tree, other people have discovered!) and set up two rods, one on the float and the other on a leger with a light bobbin. The float was for the close-in spot next to the tree and thick reeds by my feet, and the leger was dropped 10 yards downstream next to a thick bed of rushes.

Thankfully the crays have settled down. I only caught one today, and had very few problems, which was brilliant. It meant I could leave a bait (massive lobworms!) on the bottom in the best looking spots and wait for a patrolling perch to find it.

Conditions gradually got better - the cloud came over and I even had some drizzle. It was really mild too. The strong blustery wind made it a bit tricky, but overall it was bang on. At 5.45, just as the light started to go a bit, I had a proper bite on the leger rod - definitely no crayfish! It came out of the blue and jolted me out of my daydreams - I struck and felt a heavy weight on the other end and heaved as much as I dare to draw it away from the rushes. I really bullied it into the net and it was all over in about a minute; I'd seen it quite early on and wasn't going to lose it. It looked BIG! It was a perch, and a real belter. In mint condition, young and strong, and definitely a 3lber. I thought it would be a low 3 as it didn't have much of a belly on it, but on the scales I was shocked, surprised and very, very happy to see the needle settle on 3lb 11oz - a new PB by a whole ounce :D I was starting to wonder if I would ever beat my old PB and wasn't expecting to do it today! Fantastic!

DSCF1357.jpg

As it was a special fish I did my best to do a couple of self-take photos. They didn't work very well, but it was the best I could do in the circumstances.

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

After recasting I was about to clip on the bobbin when my float slid under - another bite! I struck and bundled another good perch into the net before it could get any steam up. This one looked quite a bit smaller, and weighed exactly a pound less than the first at 2lb 11oz!

DSCF1368.jpg

What a great day!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Congratulations on the PB Anderoo and good to see that specimen enthusiasm is back. A Perch with a beer belly is always an achievement.

Great pics, even the self photos considering you’re in a jungle.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I foolishly decided on a dusk session for a change, the heavy morning rain forecast would have put the dampers on my normal mobile approach. However the predicted monsoon was no more than some persistent light drizzle - we only had 2½mm in total - and my afternoon session was plagued by ruddy boat traffic - ½ term - :wallbash: Should have stuck to Plan A!

However, I did manage this beauty early in the session - at 3lb 12oz a shade under last weekend's PB - though my 5th 3lber in the last 4 trips.

I even dug out my camera bankstick adaptor for a self portrait!

post-459-1256458855_thumb.jpg

Going to give the perch a rest for a few weeks - chub on the agenda for next weekend!

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

However the predicted monsoon was no more than some persistent light drizzle....

True, it wasn't too bad yesterday morning although the gentle flow combined with a wet rod did make trotting a stop/start affair.

Nothing monstrous to report here but the landing net did get used for a couple of Perch so it was a satisfying couple of hours with a useful swim found. I stopped when small Roach started taking the lobs :g: Trying further down the canal this afternoon in a spot where I'll have to get in, must remember to leave home an hour earlier than planned. I thought the clocks went back next weekend :rolleyes:

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well done on the new PB anderoo and another great fish Chris. It was worth digging out the bankstick adaptor, it does the fish much more justice. :thumbs:

It rained most of the day here yesterday so i should think the river will be well up. Depending on how high and if I get time maybe i'l have a spin for another Autumn delight today, a salmon.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I foolishly decided on a dusk session for a change heavy morning rain forecast - would have put the dampers on my normal mobile approach. However the predicted monsoon was no more than some persistent light drizzle - we only had 2½mm in total and my afternoon session was plagued by ruddy boat traffic - ½ term - :wallbash: Should have stuck to Plan A!

However I did manage this beauty early in the session - at 3lb 12oz a shade under last weekend's PB - though my 5th 3lber in the last 4 trips.

Going to give the perch a rest for a few weeks - chub on the agenda for next weekend!

C.

Another superb fish Chris, congratulations! At the back end of the season those fish are going to be well over...OK, I won't say it :P

Forget the chub, it's not cold enough yet, you're on such a roll with the stripeys! Good conditions later today and into dusk, go on, you know you want to (I know I am) :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done!

I tried a new stretch of the Bristol Avon on Saturday afternoon - looks promising, and produced two small perch to a pound, but really, really needs some water.

Nice bit of colour in it, but no flow.

I thought maybe I'd chanced upon a hunting perch, with some obvious predator activity going on, but the thing that came up and swirled at my worm turned out to be a jack pike. I did get a tip from a local, though, and I shall sit it out in the suggested swim next time.

Had a bit of a lucky escape in one promising looking swim - I'd just settled in, when I thought "ooh, a wasp, bit late in the year".

"Hmm, another one"

"Aaaaaargh, loads of the f***ing things!!!"

Cue mad scramble up the bank, followed by retrieval of kit from the vicinity of the wasp's nest with the aid of a landing net.

I foolishly decided on a dusk session for a change, the heavy morning rain forecast would have put the dampers on my normal mobile approach. However the predicted monsoon was no more than some persistent light drizzle - we only had 2½mm in total - and my afternoon session was plagued by ruddy boat traffic - ½ term - :wallbash: Should have stuck to Plan A!

However, I did manage this beauty early in the session - at 3lb 12oz a shade under last weekend's PB - though my 5th 3lber in the last 4 trips.

C.

Chub round the Newbury area - sounds like a plan. Might have a sesh on a Newbury stretch over the next week or so. Might see you there.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I have been outfished by one of my boys yet again!! Liam was out perch fishing with his Dad yesterday and had a 3lb 10oz perch so beat my PB of 2lb 4oz but I thought he deserved a mention on here as the fish is 'up there with the rest of them' as they say. So well done my little one, lucky you have such a good teacher in your mum :):yeah:

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!