Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

I have been outfished by one of my boys yet again!! Liam was out perch fishing with his Dad yesterday and had a 3lb 10oz perch so beat my PB of 2lb 4oz but I thought he deserved a mention on here as the fish is 'up there with the rest of them' as they say. So well done my little one, lucky you have such a good teacher in your mum :):yeah:

lyn

Lyn pass on my congrats to your lad that is another massive Perch ,Well jealous face Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been outfished by one of my boys yet again!! Liam was out perch fishing with his Dad yesterday and had a 3lb 10oz perch so beat my PB of 2lb 4oz but I thought he deserved a mention on here as the fish is 'up there with the rest of them' as they say. So well done my little one, lucky you have such a good teacher in your mum :):yeah:

lyn

3lb 10oz!! Well done Liam, that is a true giant :)

(Maybe let your mum catch one next time, eh!)

I had high hopes for this weekend but the forecast has gone from perfect to worse, and worse, and worse... after a whole week of ideal conditions and me stuck at work, gah :wallbash:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had high hopes for this weekend but the forecast has gone from perfect to worse, and worse, and worse... after a whole week of ideal conditions and me stuck at work, gah :wallbash:

Had a torrential shower at dawn this morning - 8mm in a little over ½ hour gingered up the river nicely for my morning chubbing session. Managed 7 on trotted maggot - biggest 2 going 5lb 5oz and 4lb 7oz with the added bonus of a float caught barbel a shade over 4lb.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Nice one Chris!

I had a real grueller, up at 5.30am in the pouring rain, got to the swim about 6.30am still in the pouring rain, immediately fell in(!) then fished solidly until 5.30pm. I had 1 bite all day, which I missed :rolleyes:

Very glad to be home today!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice one Chris!

I had a real grueller, up at 5.30am in the pouring rain, got to the swim about 6.30am still in the pouring rain, immediately fell in(!) then fished solidly until 5.30pm. I had 1 bite all day, which I missed :rolleyes:

Very glad to be home today!

Bugger !! Dontcha hate it when that happens ,Couple of winters ago i made the effort to go early and had the boat in the water just before dawn but stumbling around half awake i forgot to put my waders on to walk round to the transom to put the outboard on and the water went over the top of my wellys ,Boat partner thought it was very funny and pride made me stick the day out but my feet were freezing :cold: .

Never so glad to get home and jump in the bath Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

.....immediately fell in(!)...

Full on KERSPLOOSH or a misplaced welly?

By contrast I had a lie in and arrived at the K&A canal at about 10:00am, the rain had stopped by then and it was quite pleasant. A few decent Perch to 1lb 1/2 on trotted maggot, they weren't interested in lobs, and then the boats arrived thick and fast.

A move to Northcroft saw my favourite trotting swim still obstructed by snags. I managed to clear most but the rotten tree trunk was too heavy so it'll have to wait for another day and another person. Not surprisingly the commotion cleared the swim; the Gudgeon were the first to arrive back so after a couple of those I moved up to the weir pool. The weir itself was closed with just a sluice allowing water through. This created a slack right at the base of the weir which wouldn't be there if any water was flowing over so remembering all of the textbook advice, but not really expecting much, I just lowered my lobworm in. It was grabbed immediately and another Perch of 1lb 1/2 was landed. Perch continued fall to lobs in that slack until they wised up half an hour later.

Confident in my newfound watercraft skills (courtesy of Mr Crabtree) I waded downstream looking for likely spots and came across an absolute peach of a swim. Relatively fast shallow water running into a big deep slack on the outside of a bend. For the last half hour of the session that swim produced chublets, Roach and Perch every cast until I was bitten off by a small Pike.

A great day, low water levels aren't always bad news.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Full on KERSPLOOSH or a misplaced welly?

A misplaced welly and frantic scrabbling, very very close to a full on kersplosh! I was being ever so quiet and careful and was about to make the first cast of the day when I trod on what looked like bank but was actually just reeds, so I went straignt through up to my waist and made an absolute racket :rolleyes:

I had a few hours into darkness at the Thames today. No big ones, but several perch on lobs. The crays were a complete nightmare though. I did a fair bit of wandering and sussed out a few chubby looking areas for later in the year though. In fact for the first time this season my fingers got quite cold...I think chub season is almost here :) I can't wait, I think I've had enough of perch until the very end of the season now.