Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then at the end of the day I realised that if I'd used them as lip-hooked lives I could have put them back.

It doesn't really work like that, John. I wish it did!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Steve & Anderoo when the Perch are fish feeding you are seriously missing out without a live but i understand your reasons for not using them ,makes a nice change that anglers not wanting to use them are not calling for a ban :thumbs: ,

I don`t use worms much my end as they tend to turn up more Pike than Perch :o and last winter when meeting up with Rusty the only bite of the day in horrible conditions fell to Rustys worm rod and after a short fight with a decent bend in the rod he was promptly bitten off :wallbash: .

In coloured conditions i have had results with a bright fire tiger pattern Shad bumped slowly along the bottom and in clear water conditions a Mepps Ondex/Big S plug or Roach coloured Shad have been successful but i seldom lure fish so others will have more idea on that front ,A few winters ago now i fished one rod with bunches of Lobworms on a wire trace and one rod on lives and the worms outfished the Lives that winter for the Pike with the Perch being about even in Numbers to each rod but the bigger ones almost exclusively to the live bait rod .

The section around Kings lock on the Thames where the Oxford canal comes in is black with crays and we filled our traps within 20 minutes when moored there so i have no idea who controls the fishing there but that area/section has to be worth a go worm wise for Perch ,Just my experience on the Thames mind and other waters may differ Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The section around Kings lock on the Thames where the Oxford canal comes in is black with crays and we filled our traps within 20 minutes when moored there so i have no idea who controls the fishing there but that area/section has to be worth a go worm wise for Perch ,Just my experience on the Thames mind and other waters may differ Steve.

It's the same on any stretch around here, Steve. Until we have a couple of hard frosts, you can't fish a bait on the bottom, especially worm! I am confident that lobs will catch a feeding perch of any size on any water, but part of catching the big ones is avoiding the small ones, and there are simply too many small perch in the Thames to make lobs a viable bait.

I agree that by not fishing lives the chance of a big Thames perch drops away to almost (almost!) zero, although I have had a few big 2lbers on lobs when the river has been high and coloured and the fish are tucked into little slacks.

The Thames is such an intruiging river! I feel like I know the local tributaries very well now, but the river itself is still a mystery.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Quote Anderoo The Thames is such an intruiging river! Sure is and as you said when the Crays become less active maybe you will find your way through the hordes of little uns but to be fair i have my share of smaller ones gobbleing down the last Gudgeon in the bucket :wallbash: when you know catching more is not going to be easy so no absolutes esp on a river of the Thames size ,thats what makes it addictive eh! one good day and we think we have it sussed and then the next weekend in the same conditions /spot/bait nothing/zip/nilch ....

The main draw for me is just what could be in there :fish::fish::fish: as with less pressure than most esp up your end no one knows for sure coupled with in the boat or even the bank your end you seldom see anyone heaven :thumbs: steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I had the day off today - and was out hunting those elusive big Kennet Dace. Managed 8 over 10oz - below is the biggest - a touch over 11inches and weighed in at 13oz.

post-459-1258059337_thumb.jpg

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I realise you can't when they've been chomped! In my case I hadn't had a bite, and I hadn't cast a distance, so I think they'd have been OK?

I suppose it depends on the species and how long they've been on the hook, but it's extremely rare for a lip-hooked live to just swim away unharmed. It must be exhaution and stress. I'm not condemning it, but that's my experience. Just something you need to reconcile with yourself.

I had the day off today - and was out hunting those elusive big Kennet Dace. Managed 8 over 10oz - below is the biggest - a touch over 11inches and weighed in at 13oz.

post-459-1258059337_thumb.jpg

C.

Wow! In my opinion, that's the best catch on this topic yet, I am very impressed! Those are huge dace, I am definitely jealous now. If I ever catch a dace nearer a pound than half a pound, I can die happy :) Rare fish, and not easy to track down, and can be almost impossible to hook!

Edited by Anderoo