Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

Only just noticed the lovely dace. Magnificent! A very much underated species in a world obsessed with huge carp and barbel it is sometimes great to do as you have and go back to simplicity. Trouble is many never learnt the art of trotting and many never will. Well done that man!

<Blush> Thanks. Dace are one of my favourite species - I'm lucky enough to have had 7, 1lb+ fish and another dozen or so at 14 or 15oz in my angling lifetime - not quite Denis Flack standards, I'm just thankful I can fish places that have the chance of them this big!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<Blush> Thanks. Dace are one of my favourite species - I'm lucky enough to have had 7, 1lb+ fish and another dozen or so at 14 or 15oz in my angling lifetime - not quite Denis Flack standards, I'm just thankful I can fish places that have the chance of them this big!

C.

Cracking fish, one of my favourite fish too. I've had numerous fish to 14oz from the Teme. This year was quiet on the big ones though (so far!), I kept catching "nuisance" 5lb+ barbel and 2-3lb chub :crazy: Still, great fun on dace tackle!

The Teme at the moment is an orange mess, can't wait for it to subside a bit I reckon the fishing will be superb then :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Cracking fish, one of my favourite fish too. I've had numerous fish to 14oz from the Teme. This year was quiet on the big ones though (so far!), I kept catching "nuisance" 5lb+ barbel and 2-3lb chub :crazy: Still, great fun on dace tackle!

The Teme at the moment is an orange mess, can't wait for it to subside a bit I reckon the fishing will be superb then :)

I've had several dace virtually bang on the 1 lb mark in the last few weeks. I just can't get excited about them though. Now your 5lb barbel on the float are well worth getting excited about, love it !

C.

If you ever fancy some company Chris, just let me know! A pound+ dace would be the fish of a lifetime for me. A 12oz+ dace would be the fish of the season. As has been said, a very underrated species.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Back to the canal this morning - in ideal conditions - mild, overcast and drizzly. Had a 3lber (3lb 5oz) first cast - which was nice - followed by a couple exactly ½lb and a lb lighter. One of these coughed up his breakfast - a substantial crayfish!!! Things looked on for a shedfull but bites died after around 0830 - and despite trying numerous swims - that was it!

Pic of my 'Brace and a half' below...

post-459-1258810751_thumb.jpg

C.

Was that a signal crayfish that got spat out?

Only kind thats in the Kennet now - threw up some legs and a claw that was nearly as big as my thumb. This part of the canal used to be a haven for native species when I was a lad - in fact there was a swing bridge near where I was today that we used to call Cray Fish Bridge as you could always fine the white claws hiding under the brickwork. Now its only Signals......

C.