Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

A day like today would be perfect for the 12th :) so you back on for hunting tench stooby?

I'll hunt anythign thats willing to take the bait, not being fussy (or hopefull) on my first outing!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A day like today would be perfect for the 12th :) so you back on for hunting tench stooby?

I'll hunt anythign thats willing to take the bait, not being fussy (or hopefull) on my first outing!

Tench is always on the list of fish to catch... until I catch my first Tench I wont truly be wanting anything else! :rolleyes:

I must admit my eye saw the words 'perch' and 4 1/2 pounds' in the same paragraph and I got a bit excited :D

Not as excited as I got when I struck into it - right until it made a tearing run and I thought "this doesn't feel like a perch..."

Also Steve, what depth were you fishing at? were you fishing the very bottom or a few inches from the bottom?

Hard on the bottom - hard to be precise because the bottom slopes, but certainly a few inches overdepth.

Not as excited as I got when I struck into it - right until it made a tearing run and I thought "this doesn't feel like a perch..."

Hard on the bottom - hard to be precise because the bottom slopes, but certainly a few inches overdepth.

Thanks Steve... I'll be sure to post how I get on! - Hopefully included will be a pic of a gleaming green Tench! :D

Your chances will get better and better as the year moves on, and I would fancy your chances in mid March better than I did when you asked last month! :cold: Still not really tench time for another month or two, in my book.

The water I fished yesterday is a small pond, 4-5 acres, mostly shallow. I was fishing in the deepest area of the pond, which goes down to about 12 feet, though it was only about five feet deep in the margin where I was casting. Even at this time of year, the water has a bit of colour, though much less than in the summer. The big gravel pits I tend to fish for tench in the summer are very cold and as clear as tapwater at this time of year, and when I've fished them in the winter I certainly haven't been bothered by tench! So on that basis I think I would suggest fishing the deeper parts of smaller, shallower waters. There was a pond I used to fish years ago which always produced tench all year round (though many more of them in summer), but it was tiny, sheltered, no more than four feet deep anywhere and absolutely stuffed with little tench up to about 3lb.

Had another go this evening - no perch, two more tench of 4 1/2 lb and 1 lb. Normally I would be happy with that for a two hour winter session but...

Had another go this evening - no perch, two more tench of 4 1/2 lb and 1 lb. Normally I would be happy with that for a two hour winter session but...

it's funny isn't it? I'd give my right arm for somewhere closeby where I could have a nice quiet session catching tench on the float.....

Rich

Maybe next time as I leave the house I should say "Back later dear, I'm just off down to the pond TENCH FISHING. FOR TENCH. I HOPE I DON'T CATCH ANY BIG PERCH, THAT WOULD BE REALLY ANNOYING". :lol:

Or stop getting fixated on one species - I seem to remember getting grumpy at chub in the past while targeting barbel at this time of year.

Might be too cold for perch at the moment - I prefer it much milder than this for the stripeys.

Then again, I prefer it to be 20 degrees and May for tench :D

I think I have decided to spend the last few precious days of the season chub fishing on the Thames. I was planning to go all-out for big perch but I think it's too cold. And that 4lb chub I had from a new bit of water last weekend made me realise that I need a change of scene, even if I blank.

I've got a few loaves of old sliced bread drying out for mash ready for the weekend - looking forward to trying somewhere completely new :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music