Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also thinking of the Thames - but possibly hedging my bets with lobworms ;)

I'm with Anderoo - chub will be my main target between now an the 14th.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'm on board with the Chub too and having a great time - had a 6.00 on Tuesday evening and a PB 6.11 last night, both from the Thames around Oxford, so I feel vindicated in my decision!! ;)

Wow! Fantastic result! Got any pics?

I'm still a Thames chub newbie - got any tips on location (not which stretches of the river you fish, more what kind of things to look for)? I would assume flow is more important than cover? Do you catch in the dark?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Wow! Fantastic result! Got any pics?

I'm still a Thames chub newbie - got any tips on location (not which stretches of the river you fish, more what kind of things to look for)? I would assume flow is more important than cover? Do you catch in the dark?

I'm far from an expert, but I generally look for a nice feature that creates a diversion in the flow, whether it be a set of snags, a protrusion or recess in a reed bed or just the course of the river - nothing special.

As for flow versus cover, I like to be greedy and try to find spots that offer reasonable flow AND cover! I know that sounds unhelpful, but it's the truth! Having said that, I would definitely say that flow is more important than cover.

Both fish have fallen to a nice juicy lob presented alongside chopped work in the feeder, which might set your mind at ease if you'd still like to catch a big perch before the end of the season!!!

As for darkness, I have been finishing work in Oxford at 5.30 and fishing until 7.30 and both of these latest fish have come at dusk. I do catch in the dark, but dusk is definitely prime time in my experience.

Sorry if none of that was particularly helpful!

Good luck,

Stu

I'm on board with the Chub too and having a great time - had a 6.00 on Tuesday evening and a PB 6.11 last night, both from the Thames around Oxford, so I feel vindicated in my decision!! ;)

WOW well done!! Gauntlet well and truely thrown down! I had my PB of 6-06 on the last day of last season - fishing the same venue next Sunday - so fingers crossed!

C.

Thanks for that Stuart - very helpful :) I did have a go today but lost my nerve as the afternoon wore on and retreated to another river, where I had a 4lber on the first cast (greedy sod still had a big mouthful of bread mash when I netted him!) and then not another twitch.

I've got to get my 'Thames head' on one of these days and start trying to suss it. I meant to this season but got all distracted again.

That's a hell of a photo there - congratulations again! Not just massive, but stunning too!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just back from an awesome chubbing session on the Kennet. 50lb of fish in 2½hrs on trotted maggot - 6 chub over 4lb - biggest below had the needle settling just the right side of 6lb. Even had a surprise barbel!

6-0Chub536x357.jpg

FrostyBarbel.jpg

:D

C.

Just back from an awesome chubbing session on the Kennet. 50lb of fish in 2½hrs on trotted maggot - 6 chub over 4lb - biggest below had the needle settling just the right side of 6lb. Even had a surprise barbel!

6-0Chub536x357.jpg

FrostyBarbel.jpg

:D

C.

Great catch Chris, especially with what looks like a fairly heavy frost on the ground! And a bonus barbel too.