Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

what you up to next Saturday Rusty?

It's my wife's birthday so I'm risking life and limb even posting. We're going to Bath for the day on the train so a lot of sightseeing, dinner and fine wine will be in order :drunk: . A city I've never visited so really looking forward to it, I doubt I'll feel like fishing on Sunday.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only kind thats in the Kennet now - threw up some legs and a claw that was nearly as big as my thumb. This part of the canal used to be a haven for native species when I was a lad - in fact there was a swing bridge near where I was today that we used to call Cray Fish Bridge as you could always fine the white claws hiding under the brickwork. Now its only Signals......

C.

Nice Perch Chris. :camera: I had just over an hour last week in the Kennet at the Reading end and managed three perch to about 10oz and a chublet on lobs. Just not the same really. My biggest perch remains a fly caught fish of just over 2lb - I caught two on the same day, both on fly. Corixa for one and a pheasant tail the other. I've previously only had small perch on fly.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

It's my wife's birthday so I'm risking life and limb even posting. We're going to Bath for the day on the train so a lot of sightseeing, dinner and fine wine will be in order :drunk: . A city I've never visited so really looking forward to it, I doubt I'll feel like fishing on Sunday.

You'll love it, I've got friends who live on the river on a narrow boat. The tricky bit will be not going on about the avon to the missus and walking round without insisting on going down the river or canal.

Go to The Bell on Walcot Street if you fancy a pint. It's a strange old pub, but an experience. Walcot Street is full of antique shops. You never know, you might find an allcocks aerial! If you have the time to get out of the City Centre I can recommend a walk round Bathampton. Lovely boozers if I recall correctly

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

So what are folks planning for the coming weekend? Weather looks a tad on the wet side in the south - I might have a bit of a rest and just snatch a few hours grayling fishing....

C.

Looks set to get colder up here, but that's OK if it means it dries up a bit. November has been a washout up to now and not a good month for me.

Woolly hat time is coming me thinks.

Bring it on. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• 3 weeks later...

Had another cracking perch session today - this time on the river (as opposed to the canal). Had planned to go chubbing but had forgotten to read my match booking sheet - so had to switch venues!. Had a 5lb pike first cast swiftly followed by a perch of 2lb 11oz. Then wandered off in a fruitless persuit of chub. Returned to my first swim at around 1130 - not expecting too much as it had brigthened up somewhat. However the perch were certainly on the feed and I had another 8 in little over an hour. :thumbs: Finished with 7 over 2lb - the biggest a fraction of an ounce under 3lb. :rolleyes:

Definitely going chubbing next weekend!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

However the perch were certainly on the feed and I had another 8 in little over an hour. :thumbs: Finished with 7 over 2lb - the biggest a fraction of an ounce under 3lb. :rolleyes:

Definitely going chubbing next weekend!

C.

Nice work Chris - that's a good haul of perch.

I'm at work and was yesterday as well. I might be at the river next weekend, unless I have to go on family visiting duty again. If I don't go next week I haven't been chubbing for six weeks. I'll get lackofchubitis.

Whats happened to my Avatar???? :blink:

I had about a dozen chub this afternoon nothing massive, around 4.5lb would have been the biggest. It was a cold day up here, but it was warmed up a little by a bonus Grayling (1lb 14oz).

post-10964-1260723473_thumb.jpg

I had about a dozen chub this afternoon nothing massive, around 4.5lb would have been the biggest. It was a cold day up here, but it was warmed up a little by a bonus Grayling (1lb 14oz).

post-10964-1260723473_thumb.jpg

Bloody hell...........I knew I should have come !

Well done Brian, what a lovely Grayling to cap it off ! :clap:

I knew I should have come !

After 4 hours standing up to my belly in ice cold water, I think you were the clever one. I'm not sure wee willy is ever going to be the same again.

After 4 hours standing up to my belly in ice cold water, I think you were the clever one. I'm not sure wee willy is ever going to be the same again.

:lol: Arrrgh, I wouldn't worry it's unlikely you'll ever use it again anyway :lol:

Couldn't you fish off the bank Brian?